• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printing on chrome?

proline51

this machine is supposed to be able to do this (vp-540). but when i try, the ink does not seem to adhere to the chrome, and when it is hanging, the ink will actually start to run down the vinyl. is there a certain profile i should use, heat settings, do you need to let it sit before cutting?

any tips or tricks will be very appreciated!:rock-n-roll:

Thank You, JKL

Mosh

Chrome is the most unprofessional, redneck looking material. We refuse to sell it in our shop. +1 on print on clear and overlam the chrome, or sell them silver that they would be able to read, and it won't chaulk up and turn white in 6 months.

Chrome is not made to print on with an inkjet type printer, not any I have seen.

BobbyFosson

The products from Creative Films and RTape (5 Year Films) are printable... Not the best but they will accept ink... Medium Heat with PET Film profile - Standard Mode.

Still recommend laminating to protect from physically scratching.

proline51

thank you all! i will be printing on clear and overlaminate to the chrome. mosh, i agree, but if you new where we live and our main clientel you would realize you almost hit the nail on the head...lol

but as long as i am making money. the customer is always right!

:thankyou:

cptcorn

adad
I just had some guy get really pissed off at me a couple weeks ago, about chrome.

I see this guy's dump truck outside the shop window just before closing on Friday. He comes and states, "I normally goto so and so, but he doesn't have any chrome in stock and I'm sick of playing the waiting game with him." I inform him we don't stock chrome. He continues on about how chrome is awesome. And he says, "wait, you're telling me you don't carry any chrome!?!" We don't use it at all. We can get if you really want it but its a special order, and we're a little bit over a week out. He then just about flips out, and not quite yells, "well that doesn't help me out at all if i want to get it done tomorrow!!!!" Sir we're not open on Saturdays. "Jesus Christ" shakes his head and litterally stomps out the door.

RTape chrome (gold, etc...) is printable and looks great. Allow to dry very well before contour cutting or laminating. If you cut too early (without laminating) the edges will curl.

Service Sign Co

A lot of the mirror looking chrome isn't vinyl, it's mylar you cant even print on it with an Edge. I hate that crap & everybody ask for it.

TheSnowman

I'm not sure what the difference between chrome and goldleaf (if any) but I printed using the 3651 profile, and it held up fine. Just don't touch it. Let it dry, then lam over it, and cut.

petepaz

We have used the r-tape chrome and brushed
i also get some stuff from d & p media for print and have no problems except when we bleed/cut if we print to the cut edge and there is a lot of ink it will curl but other then that no problems and i think it is polyester with a vinyl topcoat so it will take the ink
and we have the vp-540 and it has a setting for gold/silver vinyl
and prints no problem

splizaat

Rtape chrome is "OK" but even the samples we printed on an roland that didn't immediately curl after cutting eventually curled over a week or so...

Thermal ribben on chrome 3m was the way to go for us -- we were able to print to the very edge and the adhesive was much stronger.