• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on DVD's?

TheSnowman

I am converting some 60+ 8MM tapes to DVD for my parents this Christmas. I am making copies for my sister, and both sets of grandparents, and figured I might as well have a set for me since I went to all the bother of making the masters. My question is, do you think I could print on some Oracal 3651G and put that on them and would it work? I know thickness can become a concern in these, and I'd rather not have issues with them in the future. I'm thinking it should hold up better than any normal printed CD label would, but I'm just wondering if anyone has done that. I'm thinking I'd be able to do them way quicker that way since I have 300 or so to print.

I have a single epson CD printer, but to print that many, I'm thinking I'd have more time in doing that than I would in making the master DVD's.

Thoughts? Anyone done this? Was thinking I wouldn't laminate them.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We do ours on our Epson 810 using printable DVDs. Back in the day we used to use paper labels and mount them to the CDs with a CD Stomper. Seems to me I read somewhere that the adhesive used on most vinyls would cause the DVD to fail prematurely.

TheSnowman

I have all printable DVD's and the printer to do it, just seems like it takes like 2 minutes to print one, and I'd be here forever doing it. I'd be better off using a "CD Stomper" method probably if I can't print them on my vinyl somehow.

MikePro

never had an issue with any printable vinyls, lam or not. heck, avery is one of the top brand of printable dvd decals made for desktop printers and I wouldn't be surprised that it is the same exact economy vinyl you can buy from them in roll form.

i actually squeeze in our presentation/submittal dvd labels into odd job-size runs. So I have hundreds of 3m180Cv3 w/ misc. laminate, among other brand, decals in a drawer just waiting for application. Sometimes I cutcontour, and most of the time I just handcut with an aluminum disc I had routed.

omgsideburns

Inkjet receptive discs work nicely, but it's a desktop inkjet so it's not waterproof.

Laser labels are great. If you can find the discs with shiny on both sides (like uncoated tops) then being too thick won't be a problem, but the coated top discs plus labels tends to bother some automated feed and slot load players.

As far as chemical compatibility/stability? I have tons of laser labeled and inkjet printed discs that still read just fine from upwards of ten years ago. Of course that's anecdotal.. Worst case, make a set of backups that aren't labeled with either and give those to them on the side.