• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing photos on aluminum

dirtydog50000

I've searched the forums and haven't had any luck finding an answer. high quality photos on very thin aluminum seem to be getting popular. It seems to me they could be printed directly to the aluminum with a flatbed printer or possibly dye sub and heat applied and there are probably other options as well. are any members printing on this substrate and what technique are you using.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 273

knucklehead

chromaroll.com They used to make a mirror finish, but now have changed to a brushed finish, that is self adhesive. Direct print with pigment printers.

Andriy

Printing on a UV flat bed will get you those... Will need to underlay white unless you want the silver to pop through where the whites are.

DSC

I've searched the forums and haven't had any luck finding an answer. high quality photos on very thin aluminum seem to be getting popular. It seems to me they could be printed directly to the aluminum with a flatbed printer or possibly dye sub and heat applied and there are probably other options as well. are any members printing on this substrate and what technique are you using.

It really is a great high end look.. We have done these for some universities and other clients for recognition plaques with photos..

Using the substrate background and not using white is the way to go to get the effect.. Using white just makes it look like a normal piece of WHITE ACM panel and you lose the grain of the substrate ..

See attached pics.. We put 1/4" acrylic over these for protection per architect spec, but you get the idea..

They were printed on an EFI machine.. Many UV flatbeds would yield this effect to my knowledge.. No white ink was used..

Good Luck!

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 306
It really is a great high end look.. We have done these for some universities and other clients for recognition plaques with photos..

Using the substrate background and not using white is the way to go to get the effect.. Using white just makes it look like a normal piece of WHITE ACM panel and you lose the grain of the substrate ..

See attached pics.. We put 1/4" acrylic over these for protection per architect spec, but you get the idea..

They were printed on an EFI machine.. Many UV flatbeds would yield this effect to my knowledge.. No white ink was used..

Good Luck!

attachment.php
attachment.php

The boards in he first picture have white all over them.

DSC

The boards in he first picture have white all over them.

Oh they do? I must have hit the print on the non existent white option when printing, and the client must have not approved them when we delivered them, and I must not have given them a hard proof to show them the
difference.

Silly me, I must have not made these myself..

It is amazing what a cmyk printer will do these days.. I must have had some magic fairy dust floating around the shop that day..

Oh they do? I must have hit the print on the non existent white option when printing, and the client must have not approved them when we delivered them, and I must not have given them a hard proof to show them the
difference.

Silly me, I must have not made these myself..

It is amazing what a cmyk printer will do these days.. I must have had some magic fairy dust floating around the shop that day..

Must be the picture then. Because the black guys shirt looks a lot whiter then the box of text to the left of him.

DSC

Must be the picture then. Because the black guys shirt looks a lot whiter then the box of text to the left of him.

Why would you even bother making that original comment anyway?

I am trying to help a fellow user here and you just chime in with some ridiculous comment that I am wrong about something that you have no way of knowing about..

Seriously, what is your deal?

Here is some advice.

If you don't have something positive to offer in a helpful way, keep your comments to yourself..

A better way to phrase your comment is helpful way would have been

"It looks like there is white on some of those displays, but it could be the picture. Can you confirm?"

Or something along those lines..

sheesh!

Andriy

Good Luck!

attachment.php
attachment.php

What color is the substrate? It just looks like a print on white gator. All the whites without white ink appear Silver to me and the guy would be pretty much the silver surfer playing soccer when I print them on aluminum without white ink.

DSC

What color is the substrate? It just looks like a print on white gator. All the whites without white ink appear Silver to me and the guy would be pretty much the silver surfer playing soccer when I print them on aluminum without white ink.

Brushed aluminum ACM panel, vertical grain.

Good Luck!

That is a very nice display. Thanks for sharing.

DSC

Seeing as how I am not the only one who sees this. Wat does the original file look like?

I don't care who sees it...

There is no white on the print, it is printed on brushed aluminum .. cmyk...

If you need some help with something I'm all ears..

Otherwise I will concern my time with people that actually are looking for help, not just wasting my time trying to debunk whatever I have put up in the thread.. good day..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Seeing as how I am not the only one who sees this. Wat does the original file look like?

It would appear, not only by looking at it, but listening to what he is saying...... there is NO white.

Perhaps, just perhaps..... the angle of the picture created some extra lighting which appears whiter than it really is, in the real world, the closer it gets to you. You know how on certain angles reflective can look different ?? Heck, how 'bout gold leaf. Look at that inside, then take it outside and it's like day & night. When you're dealing with metals and faux finishes..... anything is possible. Just use your imagination. :wink:

Tony McD

probably just the angle.
I put some satin aluminum graphics on my sisters car window the other day...and at some angles it looked white.

BESTBLANKS

Sublimation printing on aluminum panels

Hi, Perhaps we can help. We are a large wholesale supplier for sublimation printing solutions. Sublimation printing is a very popular process for printing on aluminum panels.

Please see this link for the blank aluminum panels: http://www.bestblanks.com/chromaluxephotopanels.html
Plus, with the same sublimation system you can print on many others products as well. See this page for details: http://www.bestblanks.com/subblanks.html
Please see this page for all sublimation printers, inks, heat presses, etc: http://www.bestblanks.com/sublimation.html

We are glad to answer any questions you may have so please feel free to call us: 888-431-7385 or 954-989-1250

Thanks for your post!
www.BestBlanks.com