• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Vinyl for Decals

RebeckaR

The Wall Words aspect is still going strong, but has been around for a long time and is evolving more into graphics and general decor.
I think you have a great idea with your printed vinyl.
Have you considered just designing and printing (or outsourcing) the printed vinyl and offering it by the yard to all those crafty women who have a cricut on their kitchen table?

Malkin

There have been many recent posts about solvent printed decals edge curling and peeling away from the wall, when installed on interior painted latex.

There are several factors, so do some searches here and read up.

Thats a great idea! I bet there is a huge market for that! I know there are lots of cricut users out there.

And yes I guess I better do some research on that. Would that be tghe case with all types of printing? I wonder then how printed decals are made that are placed on interior paint.

Hmmm. My brain hurts.

jiarby

Jiarby, do you have a shop in Queen Creek?

I didn't notice your location!

Had a retail store in Queen Creek (Ch. Heights & Power) for 5 years, closed that in October last year. Working out of house for now in Johnson Ranch while keeping my eyes open for an industrial warehouse place or a horse property with a barn/workshop.

I have a Mutoh 1604 and can help you if you need something printing... we do a fair amount of wholesale printing these days for shops that do not have printers locally. Send me a PM with your contact info...

Many wall words folks use 631 because it is Matte. Nothing sticks well to flat interior latex. Other printed interior things (like fatheads) are made on thicker material, with removable adhesive and also a fair bit of white space around the edge.

iSign

in my experience the solvent print curling experiences are from contour cutting before allowing the print to fully cure, and this phenomenon is compounded with full bleed designs with the ink right to the cut line, and more so with dark colors (greater ink deposit needing to cure) The out gassing of the solvent base will cause some shrinkage, but if the cut has not yet been done, there is greater dimensional stability in the larger sheet of material. Then again, the thermal printing option eliminates the out gassing issue, as another thing to keep in mind.

The other factor, or ONE other factor would be the material choice. I am not familiar with the Oracal (631 I think?) mentioned in the OP, but overall, I would say a cast film will stick much better to most interior wall conditions. Overall, I'm sure the cost difference to stock premium materials, in numerous colors, will seem like a lot of money at first... but if a typical "wall saying" might only be 2 or 3 square feet or less... that difference could be around a buck... so set yourself apart with premium films, & pass on the the extra buck...

I would rather offer quality, especially if the cost is not that much more. I'm just not aware of the difference in quality in each of the types of vinyl. I'm trying to do as much research as I can but its a little overwhelming. I pretty much just take advice from people like you and trust that i'll figure it all out one day :)

thanks again VERY much for all of the advice! i've learned a lot today!

iSign

cast vinyl (also called Premium and usually 2 mils thick) is a superior product & it conforms better to irregular surfaces as well as usually having a better adhesive. Cast vinyl is often rated as a 5 to 7 year product.

Calendared vinyl is produced differently (also called intermediate, and usually 3 mils thick) and has inferior adhesion & conformability & is often rated as a 3 year vinyl (which should be sufficient for many indoor applications, if sticking to a smooth sign board... but maybe not as reliable adhesion on slightly textured latex wall paint)