• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing vinyl & magnetics on Epson 7600 Ultrachrome printer

goldbuckle

I own and manage a commercial printing company in central Georgia. We have distributed signage for about 10 years (banners, corplast, magnetic signs, etc.). I am considering doing at least some of this in house now and I am looking for advise/help as we grow. Mainly for very small orders of car magnets & corplast signs for walk in walk out sales...

I have an Epson 7600 Ultra Chrome (aqueous/pigment) 24" wide format printer which we use to generate CMYK color proofs for the presses. I know of some shops who print their full color magnets on adhesive backed vinyl and then apply it to the magnetic substrate.

So I want to print the (car/truck) magnets on the Epson 7600. What I want to know is about the Magnum Magnetics material, particularly the 24"x50' 30mil roll states on their website it is for solvent printers...will it not work with pigment/aqueous ink? I would much rather print directly on the magnet if it will work, or would I be better to print on the adhesive backed vinyl and apply that to the magnetic base?

Also I have a laminator to either laminate the finished magnets or just the adhesive vinyl...but is laminating really necessary?

And last but not least what about car magnets round corners vs. square corners? As long as I am using 30 mill does the corners really matter?

Anyway, hope I get some good response...

Thanks,
John

CS-SignSupply-TT

Good day John, WELCOME! from HOTlanta! CiberSupply is a sign equipment and supplies distributor east of Atlanta. I look forward to helping you.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I do not think that the aqueous inks will hold up outdoors on magnets like Solvent inks will. Also, when doing digital prints for outdoors; you will want to invest in a laminator. Round corners are a must on large area magnetic (door) products.

We do not direct print on magnets, as it will shorten the printer's life & is a PITA. We always print onto vinyl & adhere it to the magnetic substrate.

mediaman

Even if you laminate aqueous vinyl and mount to magnet you will get 'wicking' of water' under the laminate from the leading edge of the magnetic print. Water tends to be forced into the edge of the graphic at 60 MPH. Once the water migrates under the laminate, mold will grow on the surface of the vinyl, under the laminate. Not a good application for your Epson. This work should be done on a solvent printer (eco- or hot solvent). In that case, I would still print on the vinyl, laminate it and mount to the magnet. Too risky as one head strike and you head could be toast.