• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printing with solvent inks

JDub

First Great site,
2nd is i just picked up a falcon outdoor jr. 38"
i know this is a stupid question. but while i wait for my stock to get here i thought i would play around with the printer. were runing flexisign 8.1 it has a built in rip from what im told. anyhow so i got some stock vinyl that is not printable or so im told. but it did print on it but not the right colors. is that due to not the right vinyl in there or no icc profile?
but other than the color being wrong it did print onto it ok. other than it didnt stick to it real good.

thanks in advance

MikePro

greetings from Wisconsin!

i print solvent onto stock vinyl from time to time... takes a bit of testing since the vinyl won't accept the same amount of ink saturation that solvent-print media will.

I don't like to sell it as an option, since I really don't know how well it will stand the test of time, but I do keep it in my bag o' tricks in case someone wants to add gradients/watermarks to stock vinyl colors... as ink failure/fading won't render the product completely useless.

WrapperX

...it did print on it but not the right colors. is that due to not the right vinyl in there or no icc profile?
but other than the color being wrong it did print onto it ok. other than it didnt stick to it real good.

Yes the not printing the right colors would mostly be a result of profiling and a non printable vinyl.

Here's where I'm confused - you say it printed ok OTHER THAN IT DIDN'T STICK TO IT REAL GOOD. How is it printed OK if the ink doesn't stick to it real well? Sounds a little oxymoronish but I may be wrong.

JDub

Sorry about that .. and yes it does sound oxy to me too. what i mean by that is it prints and sticks ok. just wrong colors. and when i say it doesnt stick well . i wiped it with rubbing achole and it came off LOL.. sorry i should of said that at them begining

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
When it comes to solvent printing onto vinyl ... they make a clear solvent vinyl that you can just put on top of the high perfomance you want to print on ... laminate the print too ... little thicker ... but not a bad thing sometimes and you don't have any ink failure issues that you see when people print onto stuff like metallic high performance vinyl.