• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PrismJet VJ 1204

masterdesigns

Taking a look at the SW special they have on the PrismJet VJ 1204 - 48inch printer. Is this the same machine as the Mutoh Value Jet? From what I can tell it is the same printer, but confused and a little bit hesitant that it does not say Mutoh Value Jet.

On a another note, I would primarily be doing vehicle graphics with this printer. For those out there using the PrismJet VJ 1204, what are your thoughts on quality of this printer and size of the print?

I already have a 60" HP 5500 for larger prints (ie banners), but wonder if having only 48" will limit me with the vehicle graphics. Seems like a print larger than 48" would be difficult to install as well, but nothing better than hearing from the forum on Signs 101.

Oh yea, what are your thought on the price for $9995 (not including extras)?

Thanks
Bob

Pro Image

Its the same machine.....Just re-named for SW.......

I have one and I love it.......

They are replacing the 1204 with the 1304 so that why the price is so good........

masterdesigns

Thanks Dustin

Do you use Flexi with your printer? Just curious how it works for you. I use Onyx on my HP 5500 and have kind of grown accustomed to that; as usual another learning curve.

Also, do you print vehicle graphics? If so, how does the 48" printable area work for you? About the only thing I can see not working out well is not being able to do the hood in one piece, but then again using 2 pieces is not a big deal IMO.

Thanks
Bob

Pro Image

I use the Flexi DX that came with my set-up.......I also have a Mutoh 48in contour cutter......

I still design in Photoshop(learning) and Inspire and Corel........

You will probably have to get drivers for the VJ for your Onyx....I would check also with SW to see if you could get Flexi thrown in for free also.......

As for the print with.....I haven't had any complaints with the 2 peice hoods that I have done.....I don't think you can go wrong with the set-up......

masterdesigns

Flexi Pro comes as part of the package deal; it's the inks cable etc that is extra. I may check into the Onyx support for the VJ, just because I am used to that.

Just wish the 1304 had the same price tag; would prefer to have the extra width, but then again my laminator would have to be upgraded etc etc.

Thanks again for the input.
Bob

PartyMatt

So far I've printed vinyl, banners, backlit material and wall material on our VJ 1204 and have been pleased with the results. I use Flexi strictly for final print layout and RIP. Design is done in photoshop.

There are a few of things I don't like about it. The VJ is SUPPOSED to be able to print a full 48" wide as long as you flush on origin and use a uni profile. So far I haven't figured out how to get Flexi to actually print wider than 47.24".

The VJ has a hard-coded IP address and my design/RIP station can't see it through the router unless I specify an IP on the same domain on my computer, which means I can't see the rest of the network. This is just a mild inconveniece, though, since I have a second computer for internet, etc.

Ink usage seems to be much higher than what I was led to believe by Mutoh's ink cost study. I'd say I'm using about 3 times more ink than I thought I would be. Magenta, in particular, has been going fast and I noticed some a pinkish/purplish push in some of the backlit prints I did. I'm starting to track ink usage more closely so I can nail down my actual cost.

Oh, and the ink fumes give me a splitting headache every time I hang around during a job. "Eco-sol" my ass. Try "very mild, but still in need of ventilation" solvent.

One thing I really, really like about this printer is how fast it goes in the 540 dpi banner mode (actually ALL the banner modes are pretty quick, but I use the 540 for the supposed ink savings). We have friends who do banners on a Roland SP300, and compared to the Mutoh watching the Roland print is just painful. The banner modes on the VJ fly!

masterdesigns

I do think there are alot of very positive points on the VJ 1204; especially the media availablity and speed of printing.

I have read other posts about setting uni direction to get the full 48" print width; hopefully that is the case, and just have to find the right setting.

Not sure how the hard-coded IP is going to work for me; I also have an HP 5500 and only one computer. Has anybody else had that problem with Flexi and ability to run 2 printers on the same printer? I know they say to have a print server, but I have never found the need using just the HP; memory on board rocks on that machine.

Thanks for the notes; at least I know where a couple of problems may arise.

randya

I
Not sure how the hard-coded IP is going to work for me; I also have an HP 5500 and only one computer. Has anybody else had that problem with Flexi and ability to run 2 printers on the same printer? I know they say to have a print server, but I have never found the need using just the HP; memory on board rocks on that machine.

Thanks for the notes; at least I know where a couple of problems may arise.

One possible solution:

http://www.mutoh.com/kb/entry/8/

randya

Ink usage seems to be much higher than what I was led to believe by Mutoh's ink cost study. I'd say I'm using about 3 times more ink than I thought I would be. Magenta, in particular, has been going fast and I noticed some a pinkish/purplish push in some of the backlit prints I did. I'm starting to track ink usage more closely so I can nail down my actual cost.

Here are some numbers from the Mutoh Ink Study Costs.

Image Cost/ft2 K C M Y Total Ink
ValueJet 1604
N7_sRGB Diamond Shield_GlossVinyl G2 $0.33 1.36 2.98 6.29 3.05 13.68
N7_sRGB Diamond Shield_SmoothBanner B4 $0.32 1.21 2.76 6.51 2.86 13.34
N7_sRGB Arlon 6000 $0.32 1.4 4.06 2.27 5.51 13.24

The useage numbers are from Onyx.
As you can see ink usage and color proportions are strickly dependant on the profile, which is a calibration of how much ink the media can properly accept.

The pinkish/purplish cast is either from the profile or the white point of the media.

Backlits are typically 'double' strike, if this is the case, then yes, your ink useage on back lits is going to be higher than on single strike.

Oh, and the ink fumes give me a splitting headache every time I hang around during a job. "Eco-sol" my ass. Try "very mild, but still in need of ventilation" solvent.

One thing I really, really like about this printer is how fast it goes in the 540 dpi banner mode (actually ALL the banner modes are pretty quick, but I use the 540 for the supposed ink savings).

Everyone's sensitivity to chemicals is different, but most of the odor coming off of prints may actually be the vinyl itself.

Banner 4 is actually the fastest mode, this is 720x720 4 pass in the VJs.

It takes approximately the same amount of ink to give the same density at every resolution, there are no 'ink saving' modes.

Last edited:

Arstron

I have my valujet hooked up to my router with a static ip address and my computer hooked up with a dynamic ip address and am having no problems communicating with each other. My computer can also see the rest of my network and I also have 2 plotters (one connected to the computer, another is connected to another networked work station) all thru flexi pro with no problems.

randya

I have my valujet hooked up to my router with a static ip address and my computer hooked up with a dynamic ip address and am having no problems communicating with each other. My computer can also see the rest of my network and I also have 2 plotters (one connected to the computer, another is connected to another networked work station) all thru flexi pro with no problems.

Yes, USUALLY it is no problem, but if you power everything off the printer MUST be powered on first DHCP (dynamic IP) will read the IP address and NOT assign it to something else. For some reason DHCP seems to know that the static IP address was used and will assign it to something else, creating a conflict.

There have been other cases where there are problems through the router.
A dual network card circumvents all that for those non IT types.

Last edited:
P

ProWraps™

its actually NOT the prism jet. it IS the valuejet they are selling you. they dont sell prism jets anymore, even though they keep calling them that. trust me i know, we just bought one from them. trust me, its worth every penny. we upgraded from the falcon. i cant begin to tell you the difference in speed and quality. its like night and day. snap that deal up before its gone. with flexi pro, its a steal.

arston make sure your subnet settings are correct on the printer.

signrios

snap that deal up before its gone. with flexi pro, its a steal.
i don't know how much longer sw is gonna have this "special deal" last time i checked may was the last month for the special pricing, now its june
i sure would like to know,
i think i like it too!!

Arstron

Yes, USUALLY it is no problem, but if you power everything off the printer MUST be powered on first DCHP (dynamic IP) will read the IP address and NOT assign it to something else. For some reason DCHP seems to know that the static IP address was used and will assign it to something else, creating a conflict.

There have been other cases where there are problems through the router.
A dual network card circumvents all that for those non IT types.

True, but the best way around that is to set the last digits of the ip address high so that the isnt a chance of any other pc getting the same address. Which is why my printer is set to 192.168.0.140 and the dynamic numbers start at 100 and go up from there.

btw, I am using a wireless router, this way I can design and rip on my work station and laptop at the same time.

randya

Arston,

Thanks, but what are the hard and fast rules?
It would seem (going from memory, so not really sure) that we have had high ip addresses that still got nabbed by DHCP and reassigned.
For some reason, it seems to have stored the static address and that is one of the first ones that it grabs when reassigning.

masterdesigns

Preppie

The HP 5500, IMO, is a great printer; very easy to use, low maintenance, great quality etc. The biggest downfall is that media is more expensive (about 2x per sq ft of eco solvent printers).

Anyways, back to your question; it does a great job on banners, posters (assuming you are running the UV ink). I've had banners hanging outside for 2 years+ and very little fadding; not even noticeable.

For vehicles; also great as long as they are simple curve, no corrogation etc. Take a look at my website of the vehicle graphics I have done (see the project gallery, midpage on left column). I have had great success with 3M vinyl and overlam. Again the biggest downfall is that you will be limited to simple curves and media is very expensive compared to what the cost would be for eco solvent/solvent printer.

I will keep my HP 5500 even after I get the VJ because it is very dependable and has never failed me; 6 years and running, knock on wood.

I am looking forward to getting the VJ, but aprehenive because the quality print of the HP is great.

Go ahead and PM me if you need any more details etc.
Bob

masterdesigns

Signrios

I am not sure if the "special" is still running in June or not. When I initially started this venture it was in May, so the sales rep held the price for me while I get it figured out.

From all accounts I have read and from feedback in the forum, I had better jump on it while the getting is good.

Take care
Bob