• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem Quote

AwardImage

OK: I'm new to the sign business. My background is screen printing and CAD art for sport jersey lettering and trophy/awards decoration. All of my prior sign making knowledge is virtually worthless. Since being on this forum, I realize that I have done common mistakes, and really ignorant mistakes. So thank you in advance for any help offered.

A customer wants ~ 4 signs for a lake development with arrows on it.
<Gilligans Island
<Parrot Point
>Reefer Head
>Gold Cove
etc...

90% of the existing signs are completely disposable (unsealed OmegaBoard with vinyl, and some sandblasted board that all looks like hell). BUT! there is one freaking sign that is done well. 6mmx2 aluminum plate (approx 48x60" + a 66x18 curved and scrolled header) CNC routed, painted, vinyled and welded to metal posts, that was done before the real estate collapse. Apparently even Tennessee folks will pay $2,500 for a sign, when you're selling lake lots for 500K. And not so much, when your lake lot can be sold for $80K, but you are still paying taxes on 6X as much.

If I can put these folks (a guy that effortlessly pelts me with business and a lawyer that closes $100M of real estate/year... 300M when Obama is not President) into a nice temporary fix through this and the next summer. They'll buy the nice CNC signs in 2014, and the frontage/entrance displays, and the streetsigns, and whatever else they need.

Everyone is losing their butt, so I don't mind losing some labor costs. I know plenty fabricators and cabinet makers that have lost their *** too over the last 3 years, and would slide my work in, just so their employees will have something to do.

If people with those skills can work with maxmetal, alumalite and Elite board, we're home free. I'll letter it for CHEAP.

CanuckSigns

If I had a dollar every time someone told me "if you give me a deal now, we'll make it up on the next order"...

I usually try to flip it around, "if you pay full price on this one, i'll give you a deal on the next" so far it's never worked, because these types are not loyal, as soon as your cheapo sign fails, they are on to the next shop with their sob story about the economy.

JR's

If I had a dollar every time someone told me "if you give me a deal now, we'll make it up on the next order"...

I usually try to flip it around, "if you pay full price on this one, i'll give you a deal on the next" so far it's never worked, because these types are not loyal, as soon as your cheapo sign fails, they are on to the next shop with their sob story about the economy.

:goodpost: :thumb: :thumb: