• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem with Adobe Illustrator

iainfrisealach

Hello friends! Help me please..
I get the error message when try to open a saved .ai file:

"The file is damaged and could not be repaired."

I have tried doing Adobe's workaround of "placing" the original file into a new file to no avail.
Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The file has either somehow been corrupted or the .AI file has been saved in a manner Adobe Illustrator doesn't like. For example, if the .AI file was exported from CorelDRAW X7 perhaps some kind of preset or feature worked into the artwork might have caused to glitch.

I would try opening the .AI file in other applications. Drag and drop it into Adobe Acrobat Reader (or open from the File>Open menu choosing all files under files of type). If the .AI file was made with PDF compatibility it might open in Adobe Reader. Try importing into CorelDRAW if you have a copy of it.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Did you create the file or was it emailed to you? If you created it, I have no solution. If emailed to you, have the customer resend you the file and maybe they could zip it before sending. Occasionally when I send or receive ai files natively they can get corrupt in the email process

Chasez

Did you create the file or was it emailed to you? If you created it, I have no solution. If emailed to you, have the customer resend you the file and maybe they could zip it before sending. Occasionally when I send or receive ai files natively they can get corrupt in the email process

I agree - I get this issue sometimes as well. Usually tell the client to resend the file or save it as a different format (.PDF or .EPS).

Chaz

TimToad

I've been fighting with a big downloaded file today and sometimes, its a case of the sender just not saving it right, or using invalid naming characters, or any other rookie mistake that could be made.

phototec

Sometimes that has happened to me, and I just duplicate the file in Windows Explorer and add the (dot) AI extension at the end, and then Illustrator can open it., Hey it has worked for me.

You can also sometimes place it into a PDF document.