• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems with Avery MPI 2001 vinyl & Avery DOL 2000 Laminate.

andybaker9999

I need some advice and direction. Recently I have been printing on Avery MPI2001 using Mimaki SS21 Solvent ink on a Mimaki JV33-160. I am printing vehicle livery for trucks and buses but I am having serious issues with customer complaints saying the graphics are shrinking back so much that the 20mm overlap between tiles has separated revealing the substrate beneath.
I print with the following temps-35-37-50 and once the print has finished I unwind the roll so it is very loose and then stand it in my outgassing cupboard for a minimum of 72 hours before laminating, then leave it a further 24 hours before cutting and prepping.
The supplier is suggesting it is being outgassed incorrectly or simply not long enough and that there are still solvent/ethane gases present. Avery are denying responsibility for the failure saying it’s solvent encapsulation, despite it being outgassed for longer and in excess of their requirements.
I have some doubt that their product is fit for purpose and doesn’t seem to be able to chemically release the solvent.
My outgassing cupboard has extraction in the base of the unit and sealed doors with inlet holes at the top and the grille the vinyl stands on, is raised above the ground around 200mm.
Has anybody else these problems with this media? Help!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Brings back memories from when this happened back in the early 2000's, my advice is NEVER USE AVERY VINYL!!! Avery has burned more bridges than any company I have ever known in the industry! Avery is notorious for walking away from issues like this. I would remove the wrap and re-do it with 3M, your going to lose money for sure but its the right thing to do in my opinion.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What parts of the vehicle are you applying it ?? Do you have any pictures, not necessarily of the problems areas, but what you did ?? Would like to see what parts of the vehicle are actually being covered. :thankyou:

andybaker9999

Thank for the responses. These graphics are all fitted on perfectly flat and clean Refrigerated trailers. They are resin coated GRP Substrates. No conforms or curves. Huge flat rectangles.