• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems with Tracking

Have a Roland GX 24 cutter that we have suddenly started having tracking problems with on designs that we have cut hundreds of times within the last year.

Replaced the pinch rollers and the white cutting strip in the font. After doing so the problems still remain.

After some observation it appears that when the tracking is off I can see the vinyl raising up near the left pinch roller (as your facing the cutter). When I observe this I can hear a crackling noise like a static cling sound. Is this a static problem. Has anyone have had issues with static. If so what can I do? I tried taping some dryer sheets on the cutter near where the vinyl travels. Winter is setting in here in Wisconsin. I work out of the basement and set a humidity sensor by the cutter and I have 41 percent humidity. Does this issue sound like humidity or do I need to look for different problems?

Travis Stanley

Sign warehouse support center offers some good advice on tracking problems I have a graphtech and have had the same problem. After doing a google search on vinyl cutter tracking problems I ran across the support center on the net. I found the answer to my problem and alot of other useful videos that I havn't seen anywhere else. Hope this helps.

AUTO-FX

Does it happen no matter where the rollers are positioned? Have you left the pinchrollers in the clamped position often?
As far as static - have you observed static discharge during operation with the lights off?
Called Roland tech support yet? I'd be interested to hear what they have to say.I remember them telling me that my PNC-960 wasnt supposed to have accurate tracking beyond 8 feet. I routinely ran longer than 8' .

BobM

I had the same problem caused by the vinyl on the roll sticking to it's self. The crackling noise was the vinyl popping free. Not actually sticking but "pinched" together during manufacturing - I THINK. It was only on a single roll which I rolled out, re-rolled, and used without further problems.

AUTO-FX

good point - didnt even think of that- happens with perf vinyl from oracal sometimes. I'll bet that's it.

WildWestDesigns

I had the same problem caused by the vinyl on the roll sticking to it's self. The crackling noise was the vinyl popping free. Not actually sticking but "pinched" together during manufacturing - I THINK. It was only on a single roll which I rolled out, re-rolled, and used without further problems.

That was the same conclusion that I had come to with mine as well.

While I haven't asked them, I did notice my Roland wasn't accurate for the big orders, however, same design but only doing a few at a time and it was fine. I'm thinking it has to do with how much you are trying to do in one sitting.

Travis Stanley

I placed roller inserts inside the vinyl roll instead of laying the vinyl roll directly on the track . Loosen some vinyl and it runs great.

Problem was definitely static. Went to radio shack store and bought some anti static spray for electronic equipment and problem went away immediately. I put some on at the start of the day and all is good in the world!:smile:

Haakon

Luckily I use the search function before starting new threads, because I was just about to make a new thread stating ALL of the symptoms in the first post here! I have a GX-24 with just the same problems all off a sudden.

Looks like this when its cutting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99XqU25A-bs

And here are some pics of how the file is set up in flexi to how it comes out of the plotter(below)

Wondering if the spray still solves the problem, and maybe what a permanent fix might be? Judging from the amount of application tape I've used up since getting the plotter, I've cut at least 500 yards worth of small stickers without any issues, until this last week when it developed all the symptoms described in the first post.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1329.jpg
    IMG_1329.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 160

Haakon

I don't think either of those options could explain the bad tracking? On small details yes, but if you see the difference on the first and second image, all the cuts should start on a straight line, but they are staggered almost half an inch for every repeat cut.

Haakon

Update, got hold of this spray from a audiophile friend (remembered he bought it when we were flatmates while I studied graphic design years back), http://www.nordost.com/ECO-3-P67.asp and it worked like a charm! Now it runs as smoothly as ever, and I got to finish my order. Weird problem and weird solution, but it works! :)