• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Protecting print on banner

ABPGraphics

I have just printed full color directly to a banner - wondering is there any tip on protecting the image since it is not laminated - should I use my spray uv clear on it or just leave it alone????? The banner is attached to a banner stand and will be used for tradeshows

:thankyou:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I have just printed full color directly to a banner - wondering is there any tip on protecting the image since it is not laminated - should I use my spray uv clear on it or just leave it alone????? The banner is attached to a banner stand and will be used for tradeshows

If you printed with any flavor of solvent ink, ecco, light, whatever, there's no spray product that is suitable. Virtually all spray products are solvent based and you need a water based product to coat a solvent print.

You can get away with a solvent based spray product but that's exactly what you'll be doing, getting away with it.

Every banner printed in this shop gets a coat of Clear Shield, original formula, thinned to the consistency of milk and applied as thin as possible with a foam brush. Before hemming. Not only does this provide a satisfactory level of abrasion and uv protection, it makes the colors more vibrant. It takes less than 5 minutes from can open through clean up, worth it.

Ponto

If you printed with any flavor of solvent ink, ecco, light, whatever, there's no spray product that is suitable. Virtually all spray products are solvent based and you need a water based product to coat a solvent print.

You can get away with a solvent based spray product but that's exactly what you'll be doing, getting away with it.

Every banner printed in this shop gets a coat of Clear Shield, original formula, thinned to the consistency of milk and applied as thin as possible with a foam brush. Before hemming. Not only does this provide a satisfactory level of abrasion and uv protection, it makes the colors more vibrant. It takes less than 5 minutes from can open through clean up, worth it.

...interesting... how does the application flow out... are there any evident strokes after the fact or similar tell tale flaws associated with manual application...?

JP

bob

...interesting... how does the application flow out... are there any evident strokes after the fact or similar tell tale flaws associated with manual application...?

No. No brush strokes and, assuming you don't leave a puddle of liquid on the print, no other flaws.

S

scarface

I am just about to start offering banner printing and recently used clearshield on some 2x8' prints mounted to aluminum. It's good i seen you can use the CS laminate on banners as well.

I used a foam brush and if you get up super close and look at a angle you can see some small strokes but nothing major.

Thinning it would would make them less visible i would think. The stuff is a little fumy so i apply clear shield original outdoors and use a semi-gloss. I think next time i may use gloss because the semi is a little too flat IMO.

Steve C.

Apply Clear Shield liquid laminate with a foam roller. You will get
some bubbling, but most will go away in a few minutes or work them out
with dry roller.

bob

bob - do you mostly use gloss or semi-?

I use both, depending. The stuff is chameleon like in that it tends to take on the gloss of whatever you're putting it on. Semi-gloss on a gloss media will come out rather glossy. Gloss on a matte/satin/whatever will come out somewhat less than glossy.

Bradster941

How long do you expect the banner to last?

I mean really, banners are temporary signage and solvent ink is rated
at 3 years, (way more that the banner material).

luggnut

i use clearshield on banners ( not all though) but for one thats gonna be rolled and rerolled like for a rock band it makes it really durable. we use a foam roller and it flows out nice.

Steve C.

i use clearshield on banners ( not all though) but for one thats gonna be rolled and rerolled like for a rock band it makes it really durable. we use a foam roller and it flows out nice.

Totally agree. Customers that do trade shows, side shows, art fair booths,
etc, etc. need extra protection. Also many customers now, in the interest
of economy, will use a banner as their store front sign. It's cheap, yes,
but that's reality. I have a banner in front of my store that has been up for
3+ yrs. unlaminated and still looks good. I just like the extra protection. Also
I think the gloss bring out the colors.

cmyimage

banner for trade show is only for temporary use, after the trade show, the banner will be roll up and put it away, and use it again for the next trade show. I think it better to use a gloss banner in a trade show, because every ad in the trade have to designed to be very eyes catching. We need a sign to be more colorful and don't laminate it. You need to catch more eyes from the short 3~4 days trade show.

Last edited:

mark in tx

I started using matte materials for tradeshow pop-up displays. You just don't know what the lighting conditions will be like on the show floor, and I have seen what should be great looking gloss prints get washed out, or have horrible reflections from the ambient light.