• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

protecting surface with vinyl or laminate?

msenjur

customer wants me to protect truck trailer with some transparent vinyl. Its just for few years, before it goes for sale on... Before sale, they remove transparent vinyl and trailer is almost as new.

so, it has to be low budget.

Im considering orafol 3165G Transparent, not laminated. But im worried what will happen in few years - will it peel off ok, will it leave glue?

But im also considerign to use orafol 215G... it is UV protected, so it should peel off easly after few years? im i thinking correct?

Stacey K

I like making signs
I agree, bad idea. I have one customer who has some dump trailers. There's one area in the rear that always gets chipped up pretty bad. I did put some clear vinyl that but it's just an area maybe 10"x48". It really helps with the chipping but to do the whole trailer or anything more than a specific area...maybe he should be leasing instead. I believe I used Oracal Oraguard...not sure if that's the exact name but it's what I have in my notes.

msenjur

well oraguard are laminate series... and stoneguard, which is nr. 270.

yeah, this is also some dump trailer, but it gets dirty on whole length, so it is smart to do a whole trailer...

i dont want to be his adviser how to use his trucks and trailers. he hired me to install some clear viny on his trailer which can be normally removed and thats it.

Stacey K

I like making signs
well oraguard are laminate series... and stoneguard, which is nr. 270.

yeah, this is also some dump trailer, but it gets dirty on whole length, so it is smart to do a whole trailer...

i dont want to be his adviser how to use his trucks and trailers. he hired me to install some clear viny on his trailer which can be normally removed and thats it.
Sounds like he has done this in the past, so I guess go for it. Isn't the 3165G a calendared film? Personally, I won't apply a calendared film to vehicles. It's cast or nothing. That would be my advice, use cast or pass on it. His cheapness should not tarnish your good reputation for doing quality work. Calendared always shrinks and you get that adhesive line which attracts dirt and looks like crap. Unless someone else has had good luck with it, I would go with 2 mil because it's also easier to remove. IMO

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Seems like a silly idea, whether he did it before or not. Not to say, I haven't done some silly dumb things for customers before, but this would be in the top two.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Tell him to go to a window tinting place and they'll throw some clear bra on the areas that are most susceptible to getting chipped.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You'd think that if it was a hard enough impact to chip paint then it'd be hard enough to gouge the vinyl. I can mess up laminate much easier than I can the paint on my truck.

customer wants me to protect truck trailer with some transparent vinyl. Its just for few years, before it goes for sale on... Before sale, they remove transparent vinyl and trailer is almost as new.

so, it has to be low budget.

Im considering orafol 3165G Transparent, not laminated. But im worried what will happen in few years - will it peel off ok, will it leave glue?

But im also considerign to use orafol 215G... it is UV protected, so it should peel off easly after few years? im i thinking correct?a

use an air release vinyl like 3MIJ180, otherwise removing will be a headache