• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Public Hearing sign specs that don't compute

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I've come across several Public Hearing sign spec sheets provide by clients that never really compute. Anyone else?

1652384675255.png
1652384715822.png

Attachments

• 1652384625426.png
    1652384625426.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 335

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you add up their silly numbers, add them all together and then put in a space between lines, ya come up with over 40 some inches. That thing cannot be done height or width-wise.

I'd tell them to go back to the drawing board and MAKE it to scale, instead of requesting impossible requirements.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Sent an email to the city. Don't really expect a reply. I also searched other public hearing signage specs and found another that didn't compute! Do they not actually have a designer to make these spec sheets?!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All they need is someone who can add up their numbers and see they don't compute........... buncha dumb fugs

Gino

Premium Subscriber
At about 2nd grade level. There's only single digit numbers. Ya don't even hafta carry to the next column. :banghead:

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Holy crap! I have yet to find one that actually fits the city spec sheet! I mean I knew we had a world full of idiots but now I'm really scared!
p.s. haven't heard a word from city of Destin

Stacey K

I like making signs
Kinda a waste of time for that person to go through all the trouble of fake measuring the letters on a sign that isn't to scale to begin with. I'm pretty sure you aren't an idiot and are not going to make the word "for" the most prominent word on the sign.

$25 this yahoo won't know how to use a tape measure to double check your math once the sign arrives LOL

Scotchbrite

No comment
I have and it's an indication to me they don't know what the hell their talking about. So I make the sign at the overall dimensions and scale the content to fit so it looks like their drawing. As long as it looks like the drawing, they'll never know the difference.

They probably got their numbers by laying out the sign in PowerPoint and incorrectly converting points to inches.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
When my daughter was in second grade, the teachers held a "class" for the parents to learn the math our children were learning. o_O it was insane.

Boudica

At about 2nd grade level. There's only single digit numbers. Ya don't even hafta carry to the next column. :banghead:
Oh, it's far more complicated. They were being taught 3 ways to reach the same conclusion. Way's to reach different mindsets. Sounded okay in theory... But when an educated parent can't help with 2nd grade math... Because the one approach we we taught, is only one approach... We are all wrong. It's embarrassing. As a parent the " first teacher".

MJ-507

Master of my domain.
After 25+ years and working on projects in about 30 states, I have yet to receive specifications for a Public Hearing sign that were accurate enough that they could be used to produce a sign. I remember one in CT that mandated a 4' x 4' sign panel with ±10 lines of 6" high copy which, when typed out, the longest line was almost 8' wide. Our customer, to avoid an argument with the municipality, had us produce and install two signs: one at 4' x 4' with the letter heights reduced so all of the text would fit, and one with the sign panel large enough to accommodate all of the copy with 6" high letters. He thought it would save him the time that would be wasted trying to get an answer from the city. Unfortunately, he received two violation notices: one for the Hearing sign not being produced to the city-provided specifications, and one for having too many signs on the property. He was so angry - and rightfully so - that he sold that property and then bought land in a neighboring city and developed the project.

Stacey K

I like making signs
This is probably 2nd grade...I think I have PTSD from 5th grade math. I brought the worksheets to work with me and had math people with bachelors degrees try and figure it out, then they tried to teach me. Out of 100 kids in 5th grade, 80 of them required extra help each day. All 4 core teachers were helping before, during and after school. A few times I did his math for him using the old way and although it was 100% correct, only got a 50% because the process was wrong...but my process was correct and so was the answer. What a joke.
1652472744766.png

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
This is probably 2nd grade...I think I have PTSD from 5th grade math. I brought the worksheets to work with me and had math people with bachelors degrees try and figure it out, then they tried to teach me. Out of 100 kids in 5th grade, 80 of them required extra help each day. All 4 core teachers were helping before, during and after school. A few times I did his math for him using the old way and although it was 100% correct, only got a 50% because the process was wrong...but my process was correct and so was the answer. What a joke.
View attachment 159484
I taught 6th, 7th and 8th grade math. My BOSS was a language arts teacher and somehow they made her in charge of the math department (long story with a terrible ending). She would ASK ME how to solve problems.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I taught 6th, 7th and 8th grade math. My BOSS was a language arts teacher and somehow they made her in charge of the math department (long story with a terrible ending). She would ASK ME how to solve problems.

If only we knew each other back then!! I would have paid you to tutor him on FaceTime!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
View attachment 159484
As the father of 2 little girls now. I am not looking forward to this at all... That whole subtraction thing looks like complete nonsense; what a joke!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That is utterly stupid. You are doing so much extra math in your head, where if you can't do it the easy way, what makes you think you can do it with a process containing 4 or 5 more steps involved ?? What the fug kinda fool ever figured that sh!t out ?? It's like saying something..... anything and then finding a way to back into it. Kinda the way people backpedal into the answers around this place. Ohhhhh, now I get it. :pops_blinking:

Boudica

If only we knew each other back then!! I would have paid you to tutor him on FaceTime!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no kidding! My kid was good with math until this year - which is almost over. Geneva - Would you tutor a sophomore in HS? :p

Scotchbrite

No comment
View attachment 159484
Hoooolee sheeet. That is crazy! Is this really real?

I remember telling one of my sons that I wouldn't be able to help him with math homework. I told him I could help him get the right answer but I wouldn't be able to do it the way the school wants. I always hated when they required showing work in math and it looks like that's all there is in that math above.