• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Purchasing a Mimaki JV3

DeeHutch

Hi folks. We're looking at adding another machine to our business. Right now, we have a Roland SP 540V that we purchased new in 2005. It's a great machine of course, it's just time to have an additional printer due to workload.

We're not really financially prepared for a new machine, so we've been looking around at some used ones, with caution.

I"ve found a Mimaki JV3 (64" ? ), with take up reel and a matching Graphtec 64" plotter. This is from another sign company, who is upgrading. The printer has been factory maintained via a service agreement that was purchased when new, since day one.

The package price is $7500.00 Is this a good deal? What shoud I look for on this printer, other than test prints, etc etc.

I really don't need any more problems, if I can help it, in our shop.

Thanks for your input, in advance!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Seems high to me considering the JV3 is potentially oldet than your Roland. The JV3 Mimaki's go back to around 2002. If both are in near perfect condition and the JV3 is a JV3-160SP model it might be an okay deal.

I've seen the much newer JV33-160 machines go used for well under 10k but you have to be patient to find one.

artbot

you can listen. an aged jv3 can whir loudly with all the motors and bearings and such. or it can sound very clean and slick. you can do a y-motor test and the head carriage will aggressively zing back and forth like it's going for a world record. any drag or resistance would show up there. also, i'd closely inspect the encoder strip with a loop.

once heard a strange concept. and messy inked up jv3 probably is better than a clean one. shows that it was used and not sitting idle.

all said, i can't imagine getting a dx4 machine if you had $7500. maybe if you were stuck in the $3500 range? i'd pass on it and get a jv33 for a few more thousand. or ask for the whole package for $5500.