• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PVC free print film for laser cutting?

Gene@mpls

I have had a sample of Oracal pvc free film and laminate for a while and just did an acrylic cutout logo and lettering after I applied the print to the acrylic- then cut a thin styrene template for placement on the brushed ACM backing panel. It was easy, efficient and looks nice. I would like to pursue this type of sign but the Oracal only comes in 54 and 64" [I think] rolls and would be more cost effective at 30" as the sample was. The parts are nested and do not require that wide material. Anyone have an alternative or want to split a roll with me? I 'think' that a spray can Polyurethane clear coat would be easier too- cut, leave in the panel and spray? Thanks Gene

bannertime

Buy a 30in roll and cut it in half with a hacksaw! Boom, two 32in rolls. Or if your supplier can handle it, have them slit the roll.

Gene@mpls

It turns out that Orajet actually makes 30" PVC free media and laminate. I had my delightful Grimco rep order it and it will be shipped direct. About $700 for both.

T
print cut sign- template.jpg
This is a sample printed on PVC free media, applied to acrylic, cut on the laser and then a .060 styrene template cut. Making the ACM backplate and rounding corners and drilling for standoffs took the most time. The 'P' and 'h' indicate where a line of text gets installed. Gene

Baz

I laser cut regular vinyl or printed/laminated vinyl fairly often with my lasers.
Never worried about pvc free vinyl.

Gene@mpls

I know some people do this- if your air flow is great it is probably not a big deal. The chlorine produced will corrode the lens and mirrors. I have a large bed and it is hard to get a good airflow. Gene

Baz

My airflow sucks big time! :D
I never though about the PVC content in regular vinyl, i guess that's why.
Smoke does not accumulate inside my units (i have two connected to the same blower), goes straight out the back!

DerbyCitySignGuy

I know some people do this- if your air flow is great it is probably not a big deal. The chlorine produced will corrode the lens and mirrors. I have a large bed and it is hard to get a good airflow. Gene

This is true, it does corrode your equipment. It can also KILL YOU in relatively small amounts.

Gene@mpls

Derby- we care much more about the equipment:eek: [joke]. Baz- interested in what lasers you have, Chicom or 'real' RF lasers. Gene

Jburns

Gene, how much of a bleed do you use on the print, for the cutline on the laser, and how does it read your registration marks?

Gene@mpls

Canadian's apparently are brave people? Jb- I normally use .2 +- if a lot of the letters are the same color you can just print a block of color which is easy to align. Other wise I print registration marks and align it manually. If you have a Chicom laser [glass tube] there is a new software being developed which will use a camera to align your print on the laser bed. This is an early video and Lightburn is having cameras set up to work with the software with various lenses depending on your laser configuration. Lightburn is mostly for Ruida controllers at this point.

Baz

Gene ... I have two Gravograph units. An LS100 35 watt and a LS900 60 watt. Not sure about the types of lasers they have. I only know they are CO2 laser systems.
Like i said though. Smoke doesn't stay long in the unit. The blower (also got from Gravograph) does a really great job. I have to be careful when running certain jobs.
Thin, light pieces that are cut can get sucked out of the units.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Gene ... I have two Gravograph units. An LS100 35 watt and a LS900 60 watt. Not sure about the types of lasers they have. I only know they are CO2 laser systems.
Like i said though. Smoke doesn't stay long in the unit. The blower (also got from Gravograph) does a really great job. I have to be careful when running certain jobs.
Thin, light pieces that are cut can get sucked out of the units.

We have a LS1000XP and the Gravograph blower IS powerful. We lose little pieces all the time. Haha!

• Agree
Reactions: Baz