• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

QR Code Problem?

showcase 66

I have a client all pissed off at me after he received this link
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/Google_Joins_NFC_Forum_Ditches_QR_Codes.php
from a friend. He purchased 2500 cards and got them on Monday. I have not heard of this info about google until now. After reading it, The QR code we created for him had nothing to do with google places. It was just his contact info. I tried looking it up but only found this info on the forum that he linked me.

Anyone else heard of this?

omgsideburns

bazinga!

i'm gonna guess it's googles april fools.. they are clever like that. qr codes are the new hot thing..

Jesse_gvi

I don't even know what Google Places is, and your client probably doesn't either. Sounds like it won't affect him. A comment from the link:

"Small businesses, here's what you should do: Display a QRcode which points *direct to your website* Simply copy & paste your website URL into a site such as http://qrcode.kaywa.com/ print out your QR code, and stick it in your shop window.

My point is... If you have a website, why would you display a QR code pointing at your google places listing?

Don't have a website? Well then you really should create one. A business without a website is no business at all. But there's nothing special about QR codes in relation to google places. You can point a QR code at any URL. For example you can still point it at... your google places listing, if that's what you want. Or use your company profile page on any other website. Any URL you want!"

cdiesel

Am I missing something? Even if Google ended support for QR codes, he code would still point to wherever you originally set it up to go, correct? It's my understanding a QR code is basiclly an alphabet that is read by the scanners.

So, even if it was pointing to he Google Places URL (again, why?) it would still point there, unless Google changes something in their URL/directory structure.

Custom_Grafx

I think the website has taken the quote from the google spokesperson out of context to create an "oh my god qr codes won't work anymore" article.

From the article...

"A company spokesperson provided Blumenthals with the following statement:

Users will no longer find unique QR codes in their Places accounts. We're exploring new ways to enable customers to quickly and easily find information about local businesses from their mobile phones."

This probably means that when you set up a google places account, you were given a link to, or supplied by email a jpg or sthing of your qr code which pointed to your GP url.

The spokesman is just saying that they're not supplying the qr code anymore... not that the qr code won't work.

Like you say Chris, as long as there is a URL for the GP page, then a QR code will work. (unless that url is dynamic and keeps changing). I can't see why they would keep changing the url of a GP page, and even if they did, you could just create a qr code to do a search for your business name.

I think URL and QR codes will still be around for a while...