• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about building a DIY Vacuum table

MikePro

been off this site for a while, but couldn't help but bring this thread back to life for the sake of more info:
-we get 3/4" MDF from our supplier, and it works great. more chances to resurface before replacing. BUT if you want thinner material, HomeDepot always carries 1/2" sheets. noted, that you need to surface BOTH sides of the sheet before you're all set&done, else the unsurfaced side will cause the table to curl at the edges over time. So I surface my sheets before I remove my old table top, and then surface the other side once I've bonded that first-side-down to the table.
-DO NOT GLUE the sheet down to your table, because you have to eventually remove/replace it once you've surfaced it so many times that its too thin to use anymore. we use HighTack carpet tape around the perimeter of each tile, and a few strips in the center to reduce "sag". Holds well enough that your tabletop won't slide around when the vacuum is off, but releases well enough with a bit of effort when you need to remove it.