• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about reducing waste when using the take-up system

Mike F

Long story short, I'm starting on my first really big job today, 35 2'x10' banners. I'll be doing them in sets of about 6 at a time, 2 up on a 54" inch roll, so I'll be doing around 7 sets, and obviously i'll be using the take-up reel. As anyone who's used the take-up reel knows, you have to bring out about 4 - 5 feet of material to set it up, which goes to waste. Now I'm thinking, if I cut the banners off the reel but leave that 4 -5 feet of leading material on there, can I just bring out the roll a little bit for the next set and tape it to what's already on the roll, reusing the leading material from before? I have a feeling it'll work, but all the same I figured I'd get some opinions.

J Hill Designs

I always have 5 feet of scrap banner on my takeup permanently attached. I bring that up to the vinyl/banner/whatever and tape on there...never more than a foot of waste

Mike F

thanks for the quick reply. figured it would work, always good to get a second opinion though.

Mike F

I was always under the assumption you had to load the take-up reel before printing, didn't know you could pause during printing and then load it. Not a bad idea, but isn't the whole point of the take-up reel so you don't have to bother with it once it's started?

mikey-Oh

^It's how we do it. Only rarely do I forget to tape when the phone rings or have a customer walk in....

WrapperX

I was always under the assumption you had to load the take-up reel before printing, didn't know you could pause during printing and then load it. Not a bad idea, but isn't the whole point of the take-up reel so you don't have to bother with it once it's started?

I think the point of the take up reel is to keep it from bunching on the floor.

If you're worried about waste then tape as it prints - like I do. just keep an eye on it for about 5 mins or so and then tape - if you aren't concerned about waste - like many shops aren't - then just run the material until you can tape and hit go. These shops usually count on the waste so its built into their pricing - OR they buy in such bulk rates that the 4 or 5 feet of waste doesn't really make a difference. After all - what is it really in material costs - $1, $2, maybe $3 worth of material - IF THAT?

R08

I just print until its long enough and then pause the print, tape it to the reel and unpause
+1 (except I don't usually pause)

I used to leave a leader piece on as well but now I load a fresh cardboard tube so when I finished a print job I take the print and tube together and load it into my the laminator. Also makes it easy to handle the prints/banners.

Ponto

+1 (except I don't usually pause)

I used to leave a leader piece on as well but now I load a fresh cardboard tube so when I finished a print job I take the print and tube together and load it into my the laminator. Also makes it easy to handle the prints/banners.

...method has proven to work here........... and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one rolling around the floor when distractions occur and interupt the "timing of the tape"....:smile:

JP

jiarby

I just print until its long enough and then pause the print, tape it to the reel and unpause

With my 1604 we can just open the hatch and the print will pause... then tape it to the roll and close the hatch. No problem.

We did the "leader" method but now and then got it crooked.

SqueeGee

jhilldesigns said:
I always have 5 feet of scrap banner on my takeup permanently attached. I bring that up to the vinyl/banner/whatever and tape on there...never more than a foot of waste

Geez, why didn't I think of that! Genius. This is why this site rocks.

Not only does it save material, it saves time because you tape it as soon as the print starts and then go on 'bout yo bidness. Thanks for sharing!

Custom_Grafx

Geez, why didn't I think of that! Genius. This is why this site rocks.

Not only does it save material, it saves time because you tape it as soon as the print starts and then go on 'bout yo bidness. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah I think this might be the way to go. You gotta remember that if you pause then hook it up, the tension changes on the roll and that may (or may not) affect feed calibration settings.

Colin

I have a permanent 4' long 54" wide leader (vinyl, not banner mat'l) that is taped squarely to the cardboard tube on the T/U. I simply pull it up to the media in the printer, tape it with four 3" pieces of masking tape, and away she goes.

Signed Out

just found this thread, haven't used my take up reel in a while because found it more trouble to set up then it's worth for most of our prints, also have been concerned with media rolling up with hardly any time to cure. On my roland xj540 we have to set a print up as either roll media or take up reel, didn't think we could print to the take up reel after printing already started.

Circleville Signs

Only time I preload the take-up reel is if I'm running a 50'+ job overnight, and I don't hit print till right before I leave. Otherwise, i leave about 6" of material on the edge ahead of the printer head, and print till it's long enough to reach the take-up. For my Mutoh, it's just a matter of lifting the lid to pause, taping, turning on the take-up motor, then closing the lid.

Simple.

Signed Out

just tried out the taping to take up reel while printing and worked great, now just kicking myself for all the excess handeling and babysitting i've done in the past. now my concern is allowing printed material to stay rolled up so quickly after it prints. normaly i hang all my prints on a rack and let them cure for at least 24 hours. 1 time i came in the morning and 2 prints were drying on the rack and were left there touching eachother, the ink stuck to eachother and i had to throw the prints away, it was 2 8' long reflective prints so i was ticked and ever since have been very careful about this. Does anybody have issues with their prints sticking together after using the take up reel?

Colin

No. When it rolls up on the reel, it's ink to paper, not ink to ink. You shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure your dryer temp is set correctly.

Last edited: