• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

question about subscriptions

CanuckSigns

This is really just to get one on the SaaS model as that is supposedly a big selling factor, when it's quite the reverse. Updating (while I'm not totally against it) is inherently unstable and not all updates are for the better. I have known people to actually lose abilities that they once enjoyed via updating.

Quite a few of these programs are decades old (which prompted the need for this type of pricing schema as well). About the only way to actually handle things better would be to refactor and that just isn't going to happen (and there are reasons that I can see for it to not happen). Why even when there are updates that bring functionality that users want, they after appear like a "hack" and in most instances probably are, because one is dealing with tech debt over the span of decades.

I imagine, given what is being crammed into the browser as far as APIs go, eventually a lot of these programs will be able to be enjoyed via the "browser". Might as well be if they are subscription as it is.
Yup, Trotec who make some of the best laser engravers on the market have started to move to a web browser based software. They used to have a standard program and it was amazing, then they introduced "ruby" and it just doesn't have the functionality the old software does, takes 10 clicks to accomplish what used to take 3. Now they are building it into their machines as well so you are forced to use it. As of right now there is no cost for it, but I'm willing to bet once the user base of people with $70,000 laser engravers that are locked in grows, they will start charging.

netsol

microsoft learned a lesson from how long people hung on to XP...

this will be the end of your legacy systems that do not have a trusted platform module

WildWestDesigns

microsoft learned a lesson from how long people hung on to XP...

this will be the end of your legacy systems that do not have a trusted platform module
Ironically, I never was a fan of XP. I couldn't wait to get off that system.

This among other reasons, I am glad that I have been Windows/Mac free for many, many years now. It won't get better for end users. Some may not care about how things appear to be going, but in the end, it's no bueno all the way around.