• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

question. anyone that designs in photoshop can you help me out

Ok so I started doing snowmobile and moto x graphics and i have been designing in photoshop and i cannot get solid saturated colors.. even if I import vector file from illustrator. My blacks are pixelated and colors just are not dense. Any help or suggestions ?
THANKS A LOT!
Btw I have a roland xc 540.

toucan_graphics

Without visually seeing what you are experiencing, there are several possible issues. As requested, post pics or a screen shot of your problem.

Basically blacks aren't deep black almost a gray.. and you can see the ink drops if that makes sense... it's just not a nice solid color.. if I print from flexi it's nice solid colors. But i like to design wraps in photoshop as in my opinion it's faster...
how do I post pics from my phone? Sorry if I am being a pain.

player

What colour profile are you using in photoshop? I think that the Adobe1998 is a pretty standard one, using RGB.

CES020

Just do a screen capture of what you are seeing on the computer and post the photo here. No need to get the phone involved :)

iSign

Ok so I started doing snowmobile and moto x graphics and i have been designing in photoshop and i cannot get solid saturated colors.. even if I import vector file from illustrator. My blacks are pixelated and colors just are not dense. Any help or suggestions ?
THANKS A LOT!
Btw I have a roland xc 540.

...invest a solid 2 or 3 minutes (sorta) explaining the problem, and you can get numerous seasoned veteran designers to spend a minute checking to see if they can help you... only to find that without spending valuable time playing 20 questions.... they might as well move on to a well articulated & documented request for help, where a few minutes of reading can result in actually helping someone...

...maybe if you spend 30 or 40 minutes writing a very detailed post, identifying complete steps taken, results encountered, and screenshots... and maybe some of the people who haven't already found this to be a dead end will be able to resolve your issue!

The printed output is the problem.. so I cannot take a screenshot. I tried taking a picture but I can't capture the issue good enough for you to be able to give input.
I make sure all blacks are 100%. Basically my prints just aren't as vibrant and saturated as other companies... sorry isign I don't really know what other way I could describe the issue. Basically if you look at any of the colors including solid colors you can see the ink dots... and I know it's not an issue with the printer because it prints just fine from flexi designed files.

PrintItBig

What is the size of the output? What is the size and resolution of the Photoshop file? When you say black is 100% what do you mean by that?

On cmyk I make sure the color is 100%. It doesn't matter the profile. If I print a file created in photoshop it happens.... I'll see if i can get a good shot of it. It's like the printer applies only have the ink and i have tries max density, sign and display, max impact etc.
I'm not sure if it's a dpi issue when exporting to versaworks or what.

I go down through the cmyk values and put 100% on all values as for whatever reason photoshop always has the values at 67, 72,68,81 when I select black. And it prints as a shadowy gray color.
I have all vector templates and i drag them into photo shop. I drag most if not all vector elelements created in illustrator in as well. I'm not sure if it's a dpi thing I am doing wrong or what but I am confused. I open a new 250dpi cmyk file and drag everything into that at full scale. And then export to illustrator and put the cut lines on and send to versaworks.

LittleSnakey

Player told you the answer twice.

Do not use cmyk, use rgb color space with adobe 1998 profile.
for black use r0, g0, b0
If you must use cmyk use c25, m25, y25, k100
If that is not black enough just increase the cmy till you are happy.

I think you are better off in RGB.

I saw that he said to use rgb, I was just explaining what I was doing. Also I just had someone tell me that I shouldn't do any designs in PS over 150ppi because when versaworks rips it, that it actually degrades the file due to the multiplication or something? Is this true or is the complete bs?

iSign

It's difficult to know where to start, because I'm a bit confused.. but you seem to be too, so if I was that confused with my own set up, maybe I'd start with some testing.

Suppose you draw 10 boxes in illustrator, and fill with shades of gray... 10% thru 100%

At least on the first test leave the CMY values at zero

Forget about cutting as that's not the issue, and just print a few tests.
First, print the vector file. You said that works good, right?
Then in illustrator... (No dragging) go to file menu, and EXPORT the file to a rastor image... and here you can choose file type, so I would choose a .tif format (which is how I've printed 99% of my work the last 10 years) AND here is where you can choose to export as RGB, even if the vector file was built using CMYK (which again is how I happen to work)

For your testing, if you export "full size" vector data, to become an RGB rastor file ready for printing, and you also create a CMYK rastor export as well, you can see how these compare with your vector file. You can also text 150 dpi vs. 300 dpi. For simple gray boxes, I don't expect you would see difference between 150 & 300, but I'd take this whole testing idea further into other types of tests because you can start to isolate issues this way, as well as learning about the tools of your trade and the workflow & production methods available to choose from.

Talking about dpi or ppi isn't sufficient without talking about file size and output size. I think you mentioned wraps. I haven't done a lot of wraps, but over half the ones I've printed are box trucks, and I might have 40 sq ft in each panel... if I started with vector data on that, I probably export it at 80-90 dpi and I get a file size of around 100 mb (which is about as large a file as I ever wish to wait around for ripping)

When I'm designing this box truck though, im probably working in illustrator at 1 tenth scale, so before I export, I need to enlarge to "full scale" (the size the print needs to be) ...if I forget to do that, my 90dpi file might only be 10mb and if I enlarge it to full size at the printing stage, it's going to look like crap... even if it was just a test of a black box, it will be blurry on the edges, and possibly in the center the color will suffer...

Anyway, to even explain issues, every step needs to be clear... Image size, resolution, & color space... in what program.... then performing what function ( exporting, dragging, opening in another program) and once you are in another step, like modifying the file for printing in another program... state how you get the file there, what its size, resolution and color space are... and then what size resolution and color space you are printing it at...

Without telling everyone EXACTLY what you are doing AT EVERY STEP OF THE WAY... you're just wasting your time and ours!

LittleSnakey

Most clip art that is vector is designed in cmyk and uses a cmy value of 0 and k100

When you import into photoshop you should get a box that askes you what resolution and colorspace you would like to use.

That also defaults to cmyk so you have to change it to rgb and also 72dpi so you must change that too.

As far as dpi I design at the highest dpi that my computer is capable of working with so if my computer bogs down I just lower the resolution. The better your resolution the less likely for it to be pixelated.
Versaworks will be able to handle the higher res file just fine.

Now you mention illustrator, this program has the same colorspace settings as photoshop and you should use the same settings so that if you print right out of illustrator it will look the same as if it was printed out of photoshop. It also has the same problem that if you print a cmyk black that is c0m0y0k100 it won't look right.

When selecting a color for black, just use the color picker box and go to the bottom left, it will give you, r0g0b0 and c75m68y67k90
That prints rich black.

I go down through the cmyk values and put 100% on all values as for whatever reason photoshop always has the values at 67, 72,68,81 when I select black. And it prints as a shadowy gray color.
I have all vector templates and i drag them into photo shop. I drag most if not all vector elelements created in illustrator in as well. I'm not sure if it's a dpi thing I am doing wrong or what but I am confused. I open a new 250dpi cmyk file and drag everything into that at full scale. And then export to illustrator and put the cut lines on and send to versaworks.