• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Question for those in the Florida Sun

Medina Signs

Old Member
I have a job to find a solution to the following -
This job is in Southern Florida,

I need to make a (Black) grid on the top of a poly-carbonate roofing panel -

The poly carbonate panel is about 2 inches thick and it will expand and contract. The customer thinks that a printed grid line with a clear lamination on top will survive in the sun for a period of 10 years.
I don't think it will.
I have suggested using a premium black vinyl cast with either a clear vinyl laminate or Matthews clear on top.

Anybody have any suggestions or experience in this, I would love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks,

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We use what we call "hood laminate" (3M 8528). It helps for vinyl wraps on horizontal surfaces i.e. hoods. 10 years? Don't know about that. I wouldn't guarantee anything for that long.

Medina Signs

Old Member
We use what we call "hood laminate" (3M 8528). It helps for vinyl wraps on horizontal surfaces i.e. hoods. 10 years? Don't know about that. I wouldn't guarantee anything for that long.
Thanks Myront -

I will look it up - I assume it is made in black and that there is an overlam product for it - I hope

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Outta curiosity, what's the overall size of the grid you need to put up there ??

Medina Signs

Old Member
This is what it looks like -
Test Sheet.jpg

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Is it supposed to simulate muntins? Get a 4x8 sheet of black 040 aluminum, shear the strips and adhere them to the glass somehow. That's all they are on regular single pane aluminum windows.

Medina Signs

Old Member
That's so small, why not tape it off and use some industrial grade oil based paint and go to it ?? Don't forget to wear a hat.
That could work too - need to check that the paint would be compatible with the poly car - Don't need a hat we would do it here in Ohio

JBurton

Signtologist
Get a 4x8 sheet of black 040 aluminum, shear the strips and adhere them to the glass somehow.
What do you do with the rest of the sheet? I'd route the shape out of the whole sheet and do full coverage with 3m 467mp, it'll keep water from getting trapped and freezing, but it's also got terrific holding power. 2" poly isn't going to expand that much.
But straight up 3m 7725 black would be the way to go. It won't last 10 years, but not much will these days...

Johnny Best

What do you do with the rest of the sheet? I'd route the shape out of the whole sheet and do full coverage with 3m 467mp, it'll keep water from getting trapped and freezing, but it's also got terrific holding power. 2" poly isn't going to expand that much.
But straight up 3m 7725 black would be the way to go. It won't last 10 years, but not much will these days...
Freezing! This is going to South Florida. Freeze is rare and gone as soon as sun comes, up in morning. Check your AI buddy for info.

JBurton

Signtologist
Freezing! This is going to South Florida. Freeze is rare and gone as soon as sun comes, up in morning. Check your AI buddy for info.
Oh right, I meant to throw something snarky in there about it being unnecessary for freezing purposes, glad you caught me!
But really, either adhesive or tape, it'll need full coverage or you'll eventually be staring up at dirty lines around tape bits or glue streaks.