• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question on backlit acrylic sign replacement

MIPDan

I was asked to replace the acrylic inserts in a church sign that has darkened over time due to sun exposer. I haven't done acrylic before and had considered printing and cutting out the church name and logo on my Roland eco-solvent printer and mounting to the external side of a sheet of white acrylic, maybe laminating the whole thing to help it last longer. After looking at the original, I see that they had applied the vinyl on the back side of clear acrylic and then it was covered and some type of white backing was applied over top . Is that the better method? If so what do I use to apply the vinyl to the acrylic? I am attaching pictures of one of the original signs. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Churchsign2.jpg
    Churchsign2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Churchsign1.jpg
    Churchsign1.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 107

Scotchbrite

No comment
What you are describing is what we call "second surface" application. In order to do a print like that you would need to print mirrored on clear vinyl and laminate it with a white translucent vinyl that has clear adhesive.

Technically the second surface could potentially give you better longevity if the acrylic has better UV stability than the laminate you would use if you applied the print on the first surface. I've always felt like second surface prints might last a little longer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just did this for a church right up the street from us. They had some kinda rinky-dink setup in there with two layers, kinda like what you showed. I just took accurate measurements and die-cut vinyl put it on 2 solid pieces of acrylic and the guy put them in the sign. He had to shim it, cause mine was 3/16" and he had room for about 1/4". Don't make it harder than it is. Mine musta been 30 or more years old. Somebody in east PA musta done 'em all for this area, cause it sure looked like that.

MIPDan

What you are describing is what we call "second surface" application. In order to do a print like that you would need to print mirrored on clear vinyl and laminate it with a white translucent vinyl that has clear adhesive.

Technically the second surface could potentially give you better longevity if the acrylic has better UV stability than the laminate you would use if you applied the print on the first surface. I've always felt like second surface prints might last a little longer.
I understand. That makes sense.

MIPDan

Is there a way you could just cut and apply translucent vinyl to white acrylic vs. printing? Maybe I'm thinking too simple...it would be a nice quick job to cut, weed, mask and apply.
I did consider that, but wasn't sure if there was sure if there was a way that might have better longevity.

Scotchbrite

No comment
We use Gerber/3M translucent vinyl in the manner that Stacey K mentioned and they rate it for 5 years. Depending on the quality of your printed material, it might be a wash as far as longevity.

Personally I would do it the way Stacey K and Gino said because it will look a lot more vivid when it's lit up at night.