• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Questions about the Vanguard VK300D-HVT

markdarian

Hey guys, we're a packaging company in CA thinking about getting a new Vanguard Flatbed VK300D-HS printer. The base model has a regular vacuum, but they also have two addition versions: One version has two 5.0 HP blowers, and the top-of-the-line version has two 7.5 HP blowers.

We mostly do corrugated boxes so the idea of printing 4x8 boards without tape would be a huge bonus. A salesman for another printer told us that these blowers may leave vacuum holes on softer substrates, since the power is not adjustable. It's also extremely loud and wastes a ton of electricity apparently.

Has anyone here tested out the various models of the VK300D? Are these high-powered vacuum models worth the extra cost and hassle? Or should we just stick to taping?

Vanguard is a good company, you can probably ask them to run samples for you so you can evaluate yourself. Yes, a strong vacuum will be loud, but it's a tradeoff for hold down vs. noise.

On a personal experience note, we have had some media damaged because a vacuum system was so powerful that it imprint the media on the bottom side when vacuumed down making it impossible to print double-sided. The best thing to do is test this a lot before ordering a printer.

What competitor print companies are you consider?

Also, while I'm not a Vanguard owner (I own a CET which use to be most of the staff at Vanguard) the vacuum system is adjustable so I would think you could turn down the vacuum by adjusting the flow valves on the side of the VK300D - we have to do this on our CET when the vacuum is too strong.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 6.53.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 6.53.23 PM.png
    729.4 KB · Views: 143

markdarian

Vanguard is a good company, you can probably ask them to run samples for you so you can evaluate yourself. Yes, a strong vacuum will be loud, but it's a tradeoff for hold down vs. noise.

On a personal experience note, we have had some media damaged because a vacuum system was so powerful that it imprint the media on the bottom side when vacuumed down making it impossible to print double-sided. The best thing to do is test this a lot before ordering a printer.

What competitor print companies are you consider?

Hey thanks for the answer! Yes we talked with the vanguard rep and he said only extremely thin media will be damaged, things like thin vinyl sheets for vehicle wraps and such. We're mostly going to running corrugated boards and 18-24 point folding carton, and he said that'll be fine.Hopefully they're being honest about that.

The problem is that they don't seem to have the high vacuum table here on the West Coast for us to see in person (we saw the base model in person today), so we can't gauge how loud it actually is (do we need hearing protection?) or if it can actually be used on thin folding cartons.

I'll ask the rep about the adjustable vacuum, thanks for that.

Also, we've been looking at the Canon Arizona Oce flatbeds (2200 and 6100 series). the Fuji Acuity series, and the HP R2000 latex printer. The Vanguard seems to be better in every way, I just hope we're not overlooking some major issue.

StratoJet

Merchant Member
Take a look at the new Super Quite 2400 dpi StratJet USA Shark 2512 4’x8’ UV flatbed:
https://stratojetusa.com/shark-2512

Final assembly is actually done in Los Angeles, the headquarters. It’s less complicated machine to operate, less expensive and has 24/7/365 free operation and tech support for the life of the printer.

Unique to this printer:
White Ink parking
Individual Ricoh print-head pressure, temp and purging
No 24/7 auto purging or dumping inks
...and much more
Oh, and we’re thousands $$ less expensive sine we actually are the manufacturer (unlike more other LF printer ‘companies’)

Feel free to give me a call or email
Dan
Dan@StratoJetUSA.com

gcmedia

Hey guys, we're a packaging company in CA thinking about getting a new Vanguard Flatbed VK300D-HS printer. The base model has a regular vacuum, but they also have two addition versions: One version has two 5.0 HP blowers, and the top-of-the-line version has two 7.5 HP blowers.

We mostly do corrugated boxes so the idea of printing 4x8 boards without tape would be a huge bonus. A salesman for another printer told us that these blowers may leave vacuum holes on softer substrates, since the power is not adjustable. It's also extremely loud and wastes a ton of electricity apparently.

Has anyone here tested out the various models of the VK300D? Are these high-powered vacuum models worth the extra cost and hassle? Or should we just stick to taping?

Have actually been looking for a custom box supplier, can you dm me your contact info?

jasonx

Not sure about these printers but I used to run a swiss q and simply placed the blowers outside of the print room.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Hey thanks for the answer! Yes we talked with the vanguard rep and he said only extremely thin media will be damaged, things like thin vinyl sheets for vehicle wraps and such. We're mostly going to running corrugated boards and 18-24 point folding carton, and he said that'll be fine.Hopefully they're being honest about that.

The problem is that they don't seem to have the high vacuum table here on the West Coast for us to see in person (we saw the base model in person today), so we can't gauge how loud it actually is (do we need hearing protection?) or if it can actually be used on thin folding cartons.

I'll ask the rep about the adjustable vacuum, thanks for that.

Also, we've been looking at the Canon Arizona Oce flatbeds (2200 and 6100 series). the Fuji Acuity series, and the HP R2000 latex printer. The Vanguard seems to be better in every way, I just hope we're not overlooking some major issue.

Canon Arizona 6100 runs on Air Bearings which will require constant air pressure. and you are required to supply your own air compressor.

StratoJet

Merchant Member
The StratoJet 3215 (10x5) and 3220 (10x6.5) both use three 13hp pumps with three zones and two sections each and specifically build for corrugated. They are 40% quieter then all the printers in this category. If you need white ink, the ‘White Ink Parking’ gives you a worry free ‘use on demand’, that eliminates the constant hassles of printings white ink.