• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quoting Hand Painted

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Your the guy who puts up things about designers Saul Bass and people like Paul Rand. They had just as much competition as you and they charged enormous prices for their work. Sounds like you have a fear of overcharging, even though you say you are a good sign painter and do not want to lose the work. Do not take this as criticism, I have known and experienced what you are going through, just trying to tell you that when you face fear you need to meet it head on and not cower to the pressure. Most people have been bit by a dog when they were young, so when you grow older and are comforted by a dog your first instinct is to run, and then you will be at the dog's mercy and get bit in the arse.

From a guy doing 50 dollar gang bang logos...

You made it very clear in PM what you thought of me... (as if you really know me) personally could care less what you think.

Jwalk

If you don't get the job doesn't matter how you look at it. You didn't get it. One thing is for sure hard work and perseverance will bear fruit, of what kind that's your guess.

Rick

do you have access to Sign Craft's pricing guide? it might help

I do, the 2014 pricing guide doesn't cover hand lettering anymore.
It says to use the intermediate to complex pricing... if I use that as
a guideline, I'm in the ball park.

TimToad

Is this a type of work you'd like to do more of?

If so and given your rustiness, then run with it, use it as a portfolio builder project for attracting more jobs like it, knock off the rust by NOT taking an overly leisurely approach to doing it and everybody is happy.

I'd probably do it all in 2-2.5 days and be very happy to get $2,400 for it (even out here in Cali.

John Butto

from a gangbanger

From a guy doing 50 dollar gang bang logos...

You made it very clear in PM what you thought of me... (as if you really know me) personally could care less what you think.
I did not think when I first read your post that you were looking for advice as much as you were showing us and bragging about how much work you are designing and producing and how much money you were making. So maybe I do know you. Furthermore, if you could care less of what I think, you would not have responded but felt you had to to keep your status among your peers.

Rick

To all my peers...

Not to brag but...

I walked away from my house this last November...

Live with my parents... (I'm 52)

Witnessing the downward spiral of my child and wife into drug addition...

Separated for 3 years...

Wife's been in the hospital for the last 2...

Just found out my mother is dying from emphysema and dealing
with my dads dementia.

Got nuthin' to brag about here folks.

But...

Finally started getting enough fun work to enjoy what I'm doing...

So I guess the only thing to brag about is I have an awesome business partner.

Don't think I have much pull here and certainly this place can do without me, but
I'm staying. For the contributions I have made here, didn't seem like too much to ask
for a little help for something we are excited about and give me a little sense of
accomplishment and joy. And no one is taking that away from me. I've earned it.

Anyone else who doesn't like it can F*ck off!

Rick

Is this a type of work you'd like to do more of?

If so and given your rustiness, then run with it, use it as a portfolio builder project for attracting more jobs like it, knock off the rust by NOT taking an overly leisurely approach to doing it and everybody is happy.

I'd probably do it all in 2-2.5 days and be very happy to get $2,400 for it (even out here in Cali.

We definitely want to do more!

I was thinking, I can't afford to be leisure about it.

We are struggling with what to take on, and what to pursue in the future.
We are in the process of getting into ADA signs, and finding other areas to use
the equipment but hand painted/craft signs are something I think I'd like to
end up doing when it's time to slow down. Most of my old portfolio is long
gone and building up our portfolio to get better work is our priority.

Thanks for the input!

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
If the design is the same for all three walls and all three walls are done at the same time $800 per wall is fair. Dry brushing/rolling that logo on the brick would go pretty quick.

TimToad

You are quite welcome.

FWIW, there are cranks everywhere and we can let them get under our skin and empower them, or we can engage with those that afford us some respect.

I liken the type who has to step on others necks to feel more important to that one battery out of four in your flashlight that lost its power sooner than the other three. Sure, your flashlight will still work with three good batteries and one waning one, but the waning one will suck the power out of the other three until they are as weak as it is.

The puzzler for me is that we all get some grief from the high maintenance or hard to deal with customers, etc. Do we really need to also get it on a site designed to encourage and create unity amongst colleagues?

Seeing as much of it as I see here makes me participate less. I imagine I'm not alone in that thinking.

Jillbeans

Rick, if using Nova, factor in the price, as it's much more expensive than lettering enamel and may need double coating, depending on the color. But it's still worth it.

I don't really like to quote prices out in the open forum, but most people don't hand-paint anyway. I would never charge less than $15/sqft.

John Butto

disturbing posts

You are quite welcome.

FWIW, there are cranks everywhere and we can let them get under our skin and empower them, or we can engage with those that afford us some respect.

I liken the type who has to step on others necks to feel more important to that one battery out of four in your flashlight that lost its power sooner than the other three. Sure, your flashlight will still work with three good batteries and one waning one, but the waning one will suck the power out of the other three until they are as weak as it is.

The puzzler for me is that we all get some grief from the high maintenance or hard to deal with customers, etc. Do we really need to also get it on a site designed to encourage and create unity amongst colleagues?

Seeing as much of it as I see here makes me participate less. I imagine I'm not alone in that thinking.

I merely offered my advice that Rick should charge more for his work. By the post he put up it looks as if he should charge more to keep up with things. I also advised on how not to get bit in his arse because he had mentioned it and that is when the name calling and cursing started. I was called a gangbanger and now a crank by the two of you. If I was, and hopefully not, shoved into a tube with Mr. Toad and Rick, and by the sound of Rick's life, would not be the one that had lost it's power and bringing the others down.
Do I feel bad about Rick's life, why should I, had nothing to do with me and I was not the cause of any of his misfortunes. I was merely giving him advice on pricing something and it seems more was read into it between the lines.
I wish both of you luck in your life and work. And hopefully you will not take it out on your "hard to deal with" customers as you have on myself.
I am also sorry that I do not want to hold hands with both of you and sing Kumbaya for creating unity with my colleagues and solving everyone's problems, because I am but a single AAA battery.

TimToad

I wasn't referring to you or anyone else in particular.

Secondly, its quite passive aggressive of you to play the victim of personal attacks now, when after reading the entire chronology of this thread, it was you that insulted the OP first and you that PMed him additional fuel to the fire that I guess you didn't think would escape criticism if posted publicly?

You perceived bragging, I didn't and judging from how few others went negative on the OP, it must have been only you who had that perception.

I don't know what was PMed in addition to the public insults and don't really care. I'm here to learn, share and enjoy some camaraderie. If you ain't offerin' any of those, so be it.