• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Race Stripes

dj_elite

Have a customer interested in racing stripes like the picture provided. Question I have is where the circle is in the picture, from the hood being the most contour there, how do I keep the 1" gap between the two stripes parallel without running into each other or running the gap closer? Any tips appreciated

Attachments

• race stripes.jpg
    race stripes.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 126

graphix45

I have done some mustangs the same body style & I flaired the ends of the stripe out a little (maybe 1/4"or so), then made a mirror copy of it with the gap needed. I used some old scrap vinyl & cut some short stripes to fine tune the amount of flair that worked best. The hardest part is figureing out when to start the flair.
Check out the pic.

Attachments

• Mustang Hood Stripe.jpg
    Mustang Hood Stripe.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 137

dj_elite

Thanks, thats what I was wondering. I didn't know if it was cut that way or just fine tuning the vinyl down towards the front of the hood. I'm sure it can be done by pulling the vinyl into place but I didnt want to distort the stripes

graphix45

Hope this helps make life a little easier. The same also needs to be done on the bumper too. Another tip is to stick down some transfer tape on the bumper, then draw your stripe as straight as possible on the tape. Now remove it and you can see about how much you need to curve the stripe. The closer you can get it, the less you have to fight with it during installation.

Attachments

• Mustang Bumper Stripe.jpg
    Mustang Bumper Stripe.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 91
J

john1

I come to this issue alot too but i just make them straight and have the taper at the back where it's less noticeable.

SignLogic

I've put quite a few racing stripes on this body style mustangs. I've found the hardest part is the rear deck and bumper.

The last 2 I did, I ended up using 3M Controltac vinyl. One was just IJ180v3 white, Second I mounted Avery Gunmetal Metalic to IJ180v3. The real curvey parts of the car I laid my stripes on over sized and hand cut them down to size on the car.

Mosh

Paint them, they look much better! Paint, +3 coats of clear sanded between and you won't even feel the edge. If they want the "race stickers" just cut the end by hand. If you know what you are doing you won't mess up the paint. If not, well then let a professional do it!

The worst part about "race stickers" is they will expect them to be like paint. Good luck!