• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rapid Remover/Cut-Thru/Goo Gone supplier... by the DRUM!

MikePro

need to remove a LOT of reflective vinyl, and i mean a LOT over the course of the next year or so.
$50/gal for rapid remover isn't going to cut it, so i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for adhesive remover that comes by the DRUM (20gal)?.

WrapperX

20 Gallons? Really? That's ALOT of adhesive. What are you removing? Are you gearing up to redo every municipal vehilce in your county??

MikePro

20 Gallons? Really? That's ALOT of adhesive. What are you removing? Are you gearing up to redo every municipal vehilce in your county??
close, removing roughly 3dozen 53'-trailers worth of reflective graphics!
gonna be a busy summer!

thanks for the link, BSC, I'll look into how well googone compares to the RapidRemover I love so much. I also remember seeing somewhere that 3M offered their adhesive remover in large quantities as well. I'll know for sure once I get a response to my email.

pix of me swimming in metallic adhesive to follow...

housemusikid

I read something in the Fellers catalog today about removing reflective vinyl. Of course, it is by the gallon but could be worth looking into. NO HEAT REQUIRED! Biodegradable, Non-Toxic, low VOC's.

Reflective Vinyl-Off is the product name. Page 104 in the 2011 catalog.

showcase 66

thanks for the link, BSC, I'll look into how well googone compares to the RapidRemover I love so much.

I dont care for googone. To me it doesnt seem to work very well. Felt like I used twice as much to remove the adhesive. Just my .02.

WrapperX

I dont care for googone. To me it doesnt seem to work very well. Felt like I used twice as much to remove the adhesive. Just my .02.

+1 on this. I hate GooGone - it seems to dry quickly or doesn't penatrate as well as other removers. I think that its better for home usage, your smaller goo messes.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The one housemusikid mentioned is from CrystalTek. I do like their products - pricey though. http://www.crystaltek.us.com/crystaltek-reflective-vinyl-off.htm

They do have a new formulation specifically for reflective vinyl too. We do a lot of reflective stuff here so I recently ordered a quart of it from Fellers to try it out - have not had a chance to try it yet though. With the quantity you want you might try contacting CrystalTek direct to see what they will offer on large quantities - they even suggest just that on their site.

MikePro

i've tried a version of vinyl-off before... not exactly impressed. The samples were free from an ISA show, and I still have 5 spray bottles of it sitting on my bottom shelf, now 2 years later.

it does seem to strengthen old vinyl and allow to help peel off as a sheet, but has never done well for me on reflective.

I might order an 8oz. sprayer of the reflective vinyl-off, just to try it out.

BobM

I'm willing to bet that if you contacted Roger at Rapid Tax he'd hook you up.

+1 for contacting Roger at Rapid Tac. He's always been very helpful. With Raprid Remove you know what you're getting - a product that works better than anything else on the market.

MikePro

We use those erasers you attach to a drill. They work awesome.
looked into that too, I'm trying to avoid it if possible. Can't they easily damage the paint job if you get carried away? Not saying taking paint off, but burning the paint job with scuff marks has me worried.

would be the perfect job to make it the tool work for me, but I'm trying to stick with what i already know how to do well.

Kyle Blue

looked into that too, I'm trying to avoid it if possible. Can't they easily damage the paint job if you get carried away? Not saying taking paint off, but burning the paint job with scuff marks has me worried.

would be the perfect job to make it the tool work for me, but I'm trying to stick with what i already know how to do well.

Never had a problem with taking off the paint any more than I did with a chemical remover. You could use the drill at a slower speed, it will just take longer. The benefit it is that you take the vinyl and glue off all at once.

MikePro

sent 3M and RapidTac email inquiries.
might pickup a wheel and give it a go... i have a couple of months to figure out a solid process before this storm begins. Might pickup a wheel to test it out and the other option was the MBX vinyl zapper tool ($600) if I do head in that direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikePro

That is highly debatable. I wasn't impressed.
what's your favorite adhesive remover?

RapidRemover has me hooked... works much better than the aerosol "Cut-Thru" we used to get from one of our suppliers, and even takes ghosting off flexface (or at least brings the yellowing down to a minimum)

Border

If you contact Midwest Sign Supply, I know they sell the MBX Zapper tool. They also have a demo model they loan out to companies thinking about buying one. This would be the perfect opportunity to try one out without dropping the 4-5 hundred bucks on a prayer.

Contact them in advance though because it gets loaned out a bunch and it goes all over the country.
Personally, for this many big removal jobs, I'd think this is your best option or maybe a heavy duty industrial HOT pressure washer to blow off the majority, followed by the adhesive remover for clean up.

I hope you're not guaranteeing no paint damage and have something in writing and signed to back it up.
Good luck!