• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Raw magnetic sheeting

B Snyder

Anyone applying digital prints to raw magnetic sheeting that comes without the white vinyl topcoat?

Mosh

Never even seen any. We print on vinyl and apply to magnum magneitc. I have heard running too much magnetics is hard on printers because it is so heavy. We don't do many mags, 3-5 sets a week is all so not alot of volume to make us change how we do it.

FatCat

I, also, have never heard of this. Why would you want it?
Cheers!
Ken

I've heard folks having problems with some magnets puckering, shrinking or peeling due to the cheap calendared vinyl they use to face magnets. NOT necessarily due to the vinyl they put on the magnets. One way around this would be to apply printed vinyl directly on bare magnetics.

However, like Mosh I only use magnum magnetics and so far have not had any problems.

Farmboy

Not related but a funny kinda story. Customer called and said their mags fell off. I told her I was sorry to hear that but when they are put on like I told her they won't fly off. She said they came off in the parking lot, plop, fell right off after her delivery guy got back from running. He went back out to make another run and they were just laying there on the ground. Seems the nanites I installed to reverse polarity after a week are working...hooray. Anyways, she thought the cold (40 degrees that day) made them come off. I assured her that that was not the problem, but that kids walking through her busy parking lot prob were. Haven't heard back...yet.

B Snyder

I, also, have never heard of this. Why would you want it?
Cheers!
Ken

1- I'm applying digital prints to the magnetic sheeting so the factory applied white vinyl is unnecessary.

2- It costs less.

Proveer (formerly Sign Supply USA) sells it.

47CP

One of my reps showed it to me a few months ago...we use a lot of colored magnetic and some colors (red) are very hard to get from Magnum these days, so I was debating getting this product and laminating regular vinyl on it.

Unfortunately, I haven't done that yet so no technical help. :(

DaveW

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We tried it a couple of years ago using Edge printed Oracal 651 and had adhesion problems within a week. The vinyl started lifting up at the edges.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred, do you think 651 was the problem??

I doubt it. I suspect that the raw magnetic sheet needed some form of surface preparation beyond the normal cleaning I gave it with denatured alcohol. There were no instructions from Magnum as to any recommendations though.

I never took it beyond that. We had been and continue to do overlays on the white clad mag sheet with no problems and what mags we've seen appear to hold up well after several years use as far as the overlay is concerned. So, to us, it made no sense to take on potential problems for the small benefit we might receive.

Mosh

Years ago, like 1989, we had this old guy with a wrecker order some magneticss. Well his doors had so much body puddy on them the mags would not stick. Well his solution (instead of having us letter the door direct) was to silicone the magnetics on. Them damn magnetics were on that truck for ten years, until he died.

BTW, how much are you going to save on this magnetic? Magnum is great stuff and not that much! I can't see doing it unless you do 100 sets of mags a day. Even then it is hard to beat their quality.

Last edited:

Mosh

Let us know how it works, I am going to stick with what I know works. :)
BTW, where are you going to order it from? none of my suppliers carry it.

thewood

We've been using the raw magnetic for a few years now. We prep it with denatured alcohol and apply the prints. It is less expensive than the coated variety. But if you prefer to pay more for the unnecessary extra layer of white, carry on gentlemen.