• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Re Installing software on new HD help!

rcook99

Well my drives are 4 years old and my backup is failing so I bought 2 new drives for storage and backup. I also bought a 256gb SSD drive which I plan on using for my OS (Windows 7) as well as CS 5.5, Signlab 9.1 P&C, Corel X6, Wilcom ES3, MS Office 2013.

1) Do I need to deactivate any of my old software before I remove the old drives?

2) What is the best order to load my software after Windows is loaded?

3) Will all of those programs listed fit on my 256 SSD drive?

4) Also any other pointers are appreciated.

Thank,
RC

player

You could use Acronus or Norton to make mirror copies of your existing drives onto new drives... The result is everything is exactly as it is, on new drives. All programs are exactly the same. No difference.

I always buy new computers and keep the old ones running as they are (with new drives) so I can take my time loading and setting up the new machine. No down time, no missing plugins or fonts or settings etc...

WildWestDesigns

Well my drives are 4 years old and my backup is failing so I bought 2 new drives for storage and backup. I also bought a 256gb SSD drive which I plan on using for my OS (Windows 7) as well as CS 5.5, Signlab 9.1 P&C, Corel X6, Wilcom ES3, MS Office 2013.

1) Do I need to deactivate any of my old software before I remove the old drives?

2) What is the best order to load my software after Windows is loaded?

3) Will all of those programs listed fit on my 256 SSD drive?

4) Also any other pointers are appreciated.

Thank,
RC

As mentioned, you can use Acronis to do a full imagine backup and use that to image over to your new machine.

I do make a practice of deactivating what software I can, just in case something happens. It rarely does, but I'm wildly risk adverse, particularly with some of the software that I use.

Wilcom, it shouldn't matter since that works of a security dongle. I would deactivate CS5.5 though (and associated plugins if you have any, I do for Ai), but that's me personally. X6, I don't think you can deactivate, I don't have my copy that came with Wilcom loaded though, so I can't say for sure.

MS Office, I don't know if you can deactivate that via command prompt like you can with the OS, but I use LibreOffice. I haven't used MS Office since the 2007 release.

As to your SSD specs, I fit CS6 Master Suite, Wilcom, and LibreOffice (I don't use Signlab or DRAW (have a copy of this one though) on far less capacity specs on my SSD then the one that you listed and I still have plenty of room. But all scratch files and files themselves go over the local network and not any one computer, so that does help. Just keep your SSD for OS and programs only.

Be sure to look at the write limit on your SSD as that is how the lifespan on these drives is measured in (also don't defrag these drives if you are in that habit, unnecessary amount of writes and not necessary on these types of drives).

rcook99

You could use Acronus or Norton to make mirror copies of your existing drives onto new drives... The result is everything is exactly as it is, on new drives. All programs are exactly the same. No difference.

I always buy new computers and keep the old ones running as they are (with new drives) so I can take my time loading and setting up the new machine. No down time, no missing plugins or fonts or settings etc...

I had thought about a mirror copy but figured if I do a new install less chance of moving a potential virus from the old system to the new one. Am I correct in this thought process?

WildWestDesigns

I had thought about a mirror copy but figured if I do a new install less chance of moving a potential virus from the old system to the new one. Am I correct in this thought process?

That is possible. One thing to help eliminate that (or if there any "broken" paths or files) is to do an image after your fresh install with no programs at all and then do another mirror image with your essential programs installed, plugins etc. Move those files to a spot that you wouldn't delete or overwrite and then sporadically do other backups as well, ones that you may or may not mind being overwritten if need be.

rcook99

Well after doing some research it looks as though I will have to do a fresh install. My original install did not have windows in a separate partition. So I have 500gb on my current C drive which will not fit on my new SSD.

Techman

new drives come with a utility that makes installing a new drive easy.
It will clone the old drive right onto the new drive perfectly. There should be a cd in the drive box with an easy install utility. No need for any after market cloners or installers.

OldPaint

do thing in a priority manner.
1. remove old hard drive and install SSD.
2. install OS as you should have a WIN 7 disc. i have WIN 7 PRO.....
3. once its installed and up and running, then INSTALL those programs you wish to run,
ADOBE, OFFICE, SIGN PROGRAMS ETC.
4. now all these are up and running, take you old hard, set it as a slave an connecet it back to the computer.
5. have an external backup 1 terabyte.....hooked to computer.
6. on the external, make a directory say OLD C DRIVE2015.
7.COPY all the files from your original hard drive to that directory. now you got a back up of you main hard drive.
8. use the 1 terabyte for all the files/photos/designs you save.
i have a 256 SSD......And WIN 7, COREL X3, X7, OPEN OFFICE, ARTS & LETTERS 8.5, PRINT ARTIST, and few other programs and still the 256 in not 1/2 full.

rcook99

new drives come with a utility that makes installing a new drive easy.
It will clone the old drive right onto the new drive perfectly. There should be a cd in the drive box with an easy install utility. No need for any after market cloners or installers.

Tech, the drives I bought on a recommendation from Casey don't have a CD with them. But I plan on doing a clean install because after doing some research I am better off installing windows on a seperate partition first and then making an image of the new setup before all the other programs are added. This will allow me to fix any problems with windows and won't affect the rest of my system. Plus my current C drive has about 500gb which won't fit on my SSD.

rcook99

do thing in a priority manner.
1. remove old hard drive and install SSD.
2. install OS as you should have a WIN 7 disc. i have WIN 7 PRO.....
3. once its installed and up and running, then INSTALL those programs you wish to run,
ADOBE, OFFICE, SIGN PROGRAMS ETC.
4. now all these are up and running, take you old hard, set it as a slave an connecet it back to the computer.
5. have an external backup 1 terabyte.....hooked to computer.
6. on the external, make a directory say OLD C DRIVE2015.
7.COPY all the files from your original hard drive to that directory. now you got a back up of you main hard drive.
8. use the 1 terabyte for all the files/photos/designs you save.
i have a 256 SSD......And WIN 7, COREL X3, X7, OPEN OFFICE, ARTS & LETTERS 8.5, PRINT ARTIST, and few other programs and still the 256 in not 1/2 full.

OP thanks for the step by step. I plan on using the old drive in the box as a slave for sure. I am also gonna set up the backup of my 2nd drive to the 3rd as they are identical. I also keep a backup on my external as well. Also good to know that the SSD will hold my OS plus my other software without a problem. I do have my Win 7 pro disk as well as all the others. So it will take some time but when it's done it will be a relief to have new drives especially the SSD. :Big Laugh

OldPaint

doing clean install of OS on new hard drives.........is all i ever do.
and INSTALLING the programs i use most......new to that hard drive.
most of the FILES i save are still on their hard drives and i make DVD copies of those like my COREL designs, QUICKEN bookkeeping, DOCUMENTS i create.
connection to the internet is where all the CRAP get on you hard drive. as soon as you install the OS, LOAD AN ANTIVIRUS.......i use AVAST.......dont do NORTON/or MACAFEE.......... these are so bloted and they tend to try to take over your computer..

Techman

I am better off installing windows on a seperate partition first
Huh?

Why? This is the 21st century. They did that way back in the 20th century. The reasons for doing that became irrelevant long ago.

This will allow me to fix any problems with windows and won't affect the rest of my system.

That is what the restore section is for. Someone forgot to tutor you in creating a restore partition (not windows restore). In fact. Getting a new hard drive that comes with the drive utility will help you create those special sections as they are just about automatically done for you.. As mentioned above you can download those utilities from their website.

I believe you will be better served if you at least look into the drive utility and use it to set up your system. It is so easy using good tools and not use obsolete ideas from threads on a websites that are not geared towards the technical aspects of computers. Specs on computer components change so fast that even guru's check to see whats new before making a move.

OldPaint

i concur with techman....... PARTITIONS have no relevancy with the way info is stored today. in essence with a 256 gig SSD.....this is 1st partition..........2nd partition would be your original h/d set in a slave mode, 3rd partition would be your EXTERNAL 1 TERA BYTE backup drive................ and you loading your programs in to the SSD.......and storing info on the external drive))))

rcook99

I am always open to other options and that is why I posted it here. I am by no means a computer guru. Lol

I will definitely consider the options you suggested and thank you and OldPaint for the input. :thumb::thankyou: