• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reading reg marks with chrome vinyl

ProColorGraphics

I got mine from who is now Airmark, that is who I bought my cutter from. It goes over the sensor on the machine. There was a tech/info sheet that came with it. A little how too. I will scan that it and post it.

Essentially just a .25" by 1" strip of translucent yellow vinyl. Applied over then sensor, then the "tail" went up along the side to make it easy to pull off. You need to adjust the sensor reading after you put it on. I did it once, recorded the new number, then just manually entered that in each time. I reused the same piece over and over until it wouldn't stick.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Try printing marks on regular vinyl, then apply them overtop of the marks on the chrome

You'll never get them in exactly the right spot. Never.

On any media that's iffy for reading registration marks I use 4 point manual marks and my plotter's built-in laser pointer. Your mileage may vary with your software and tackle.

Tatonka

If you're only using the little square marks and not the barcode, you can cut a square out of white vinyl, like 10mm or so, with a 3mm square in the middle. Place that square over the reg mark.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good afternoon,

We usually recommend the yellow filters over your OPOS sensor when trying to read marks on chrome or mirror finish vinyl. If you can send me an email to philj@airmark.com with your contact information I can send you information on how to obtain the filters to test out.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

RG

I had the same problem with my D120. It doesn't have a built-in laser pointer. But, the 4 point manual mark method works just fine. I just have to use the mouse to move the knife over the center of each mark and click OK each time. Takes a little practice, but it contour cuts the chrome perfectly.