• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Real Estate Signs... Aluminum or ACM?

rickmdc

Hey Everyone, I'm looking to make some real estate signs for some Realtor clients of mine. They are wanting the hanging sign panels for their posts. I've usually printed them on the .040 Aluminum blanks, but recently someone mentioned ACM panels. Is one recommended over the other? If so, Why? These will be mounted reflective vinyl. Any help and insight is greatly appreciated.

** 8/23/23 UPDATE** Thank you everyone for the help. I was doing Alum this entire time but wanted to switch to ACM. Some of you mentioned I could buy ACM pre-punched, which would be DOPE. Nonetheless, I'm going to try the ACM route and drill holes prior to grommets. Most of my realtor clients have the metal frames so I wouldn't need to punch more than 1 out of every 10 signs I print for them. Of course, that can add up as I continue to grow. Thanks again!

Last edited:

ikarasu

We use 3mm alupanel or .081 allum if they want really long lasting.. .040 would be pretty bendy imo for a hanging sign.

Last edited:

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Since you can order pre-punched blanks, I'd personally stick with the aluminum. If you switch to ACM, is the price comparable, considering you'll need to cut them yourself?

gnubler

I use ACM also, no realtor is going to pay for actual aluminum.
Have to drill holes first before punching grommets.

rickmdc

Yes, we drill, but our hand grommet press doesn't like ACM so we have to hand set
I was at the ISA show this year and there was a vendor that had this punch press that punched through ACM like BUTTER. It had a hole die and a corner rounding die. It was a little out of my budget since I'm just starting, but after doing so many signs, it is looking like a really good investment. I'll share the vendor once I find their flier LOL

rickmdc

I use ACM also, no realtor is going to pay for actual aluminum.
Have to drill holes first before punching grommets.
Thanks man, I appreciate the insight. I've just been pushing the aluminum on them. Is there a specific type of grommet I should use for ACM? I've only ever grommeted coro and banners, so I'm assuming the same grommets work for ACM?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Thanks man, I appreciate the insight. I've just been pushing the aluminum on them. Is there a specific type of grommet I should use for ACM? I've only ever grommeted coro and banners, so I'm assuming the same grommets work for ACM?
Yep, same grommets

rickmdc

Since you can order pre-punched blanks, I'd personally stick with the aluminum. If you switch to ACM, is the price comparable, considering you'll need to cut them yourself?
Thanks southpaw! Which vendor do you recommend for the pre-punched blanks? None of my TX vendors provide them, that I'm aware of at least.

JBurton

Signtologist
Thanks southpaw! Which vendor do you recommend for the pre-punched blanks? None of my TX vendors provide them, that I'm aware of at least.
Reach out to a vendor like Reece, they're in your neck of the woods, or GSG if you have an established account, and see if they would recommend someone that orders tons of ACM to get odds and ends from. Best case scenario, GSG trucks them between shops on their regular route. Another reason it's a good idea to know your delivery guy and treat him kindly.

ikarasu

You guys grommet your acm?

We usually just drill holes, never had them rip or anything... Except one time when some dumbass hung a 24in wide by 24 "Ryder," through it and we had a huge wind storm.

We don't get much windy weather though so maybe it's just not a problem for our area