• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recommendations for printing 90ft solid red panel job? Latex 360

jimmmi

Already created 10p 100% CMYK only profile for tiling with preheat and interpass delay, reversed one by one panel, added color bar 30mm, calibrated before printing. Any other recommendations to have color consistency for this large job?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Interpass delay is not recommended if you don't need it.
Do a warmup job of 1m in the beginning and you should be good to go.
Be sure you don't have printheads that have too much wear on them.

jimmmi

The tiling mode automatically adds 1 second delay for some reason and in hp recommendations says that is for stabilize ink better. I just reduced to 0.5 beacuse its too slow.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is printing it the only way possible to make a 90' red panel ??

Have one right now, it's not 90' but about 38' and all red background. It will be easier, more cost effective and much longer lasting to just buy the panels already red and apply partials overtop where needed.

Not to mention, we did that with one that was a solid blue background and used blue panels and added the vinyls overtop.

jimmmi

Hmm okay, didn't know that. Maybe its useful after all. Just slows down the printing heck a lot.
Definitely that's why i changed to 0.5. Hopefully it will do the same.
Attached the info from hp. Basically they say for 300 series. Maybe 500 is different because of different curing unit
IMG_20210526_214820.jpg

jimmmi

Is printing it the only way possible to make a 90' red panel ??

Have one right now, it's not 90' but about 38' and all red background. It will be easier, more cost effective and much longer lasting to just buy the panels already red and apply partials overtop where needed.

Not to mention, we did that with one that was a solid blue background and used blue panels and added the vinyls overtop.
It has white letters and some fruits on the end so its difficult. Also customer wants matte. I cannot find any matte polymeric with good durability. Actually its 2 sides of 45ft. Just each side must be perfect

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ohh, then this must be an interior sign, huh ?? You wouldn't wanna put matte finish outside.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so it you're printing a vinyl wrap for a 45' truck, just put a satin or matte lam on it. Done............

For exterior uses, most people wanna start with a gloss finish as it will hold up longer against the elements, but you said you wanted a matte finish and didn't mention a laminate, so I thought you were printing directly to some polymer substrate for an interior sign. Interior doesn't require the same care, under most circumstances.

jimmmi

Okay, so it you're printing a vinyl wrap for a 45' truck, just put a satin or matte lam on it. Done............

For exterior uses, most people wanna start with a gloss finish as it will hold up longer against the elements, but you said you wanted a matte finish and didn't mention a laminate, so I thought you were printing directly to some polymer substrate for an interior sign. Interior doesn't require the same care, under most circumstances.
Correct I print on polymeric vinyl and laminate with matte lamination. I find matte better against scratches from brushes they wash their trucks, trees etc. It's more forgiving. Just my opinion. Colors are not as vivid as gloss of course.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
What is so difficult about putting some white lettering and a few picture elements over top of a red matte wrap? I wouldn't print all that.

jimmmi

What is so difficult about putting some white lettering and a few picture elements over top of a red matte wrap? I wouldn't print all that.
It has some shadows from the fruits integrated in the red. Thats the main reason and i mentioned above i cannot find a long lasting matte red vinyl

2B

I agree for 2080 but the customer won't pay the cost

There is the issue, if they want a "budget" job, they will get a "budget" product

then get a "gloss" red and use matte overlaminate.
If you are concerned about "layering", apply the printed fruit & lettering to the red and then laminate over that

You can print, but as you already are asking, color consistency for this size could be a factor.
If they reject the job because of the print for color consistency, you are out 2x as you have to reprint, remove and reinstall....

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You're going to end up wasting more of your time and money trying to save the customer money. What he wants to pay is his problem, not yours but you are about to flip that around. I don't know about you but I go to work to make money first, not friends.

jimmmi

There is the issue, if they want a "budget" job, they will get a "budget" product

then get a "gloss" red and use matte overlaminate.
If you are concerned about "layering", apply the printed fruit & lettering to the red and then laminate over that

You can print, but as you already are asking, color consistency for this size could be a factor.
If they reject the job because of the print for color consistency, you are out 2x as you have to reprint, remove and reinstall....
Well believe me in my country everyone asks for "budget job". I am 20+ years in sign field and barely remember 3-4 people saying i want a good job no matter. Also our prices here are 1/5 than US and sometimes even 1/10 of the price.
I thought about overlaminate the gloss but i dont know how will stay one material with the other. Also if i laminate both red and printed material together probably will get air at the edges. My main concern is to not have a striped result with different panel colors

jimmmi

You're going to end up wasting more of your time and money trying to save the customer money. What he wants to pay is his problem, not yours but you are about to flip that around. I don't know about you but I go to work to make money first, not friends.
But at the end what's the point having a latex if it cannot handle something like this?

2B

Well believe me in my country everyone asks for "budget job". I am 20+ years in sign field and barely remember 3-4 people saying i want a good job no matter. Also our prices here are 1/5 than US and sometimes even 1/10 of the price.
I thought about overlaminate the gloss but i dont know how will stay one material with the other. Also if i laminate both red and printed material together probably will get air at the edges. My main concern is to not have a striped result with different panel colors

This is a VERY strong possibility, we have seen a color shift on material from one side of the roll to another.
colors that are printed "SOLID" are only going to magnify the color shifts.

If you laminate "layers", yes there will be a small amount of air/silvering at the point of layering

Since this is going on a trailer, and the job is budget.
The amount of involvement should NOT be the same as doing a fine art print or a project that will be closely inspected up close.