• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recommendations for Sticker Printing? (printing and die-cutting)

webhead

Now we aren't quite a sign shop, but we do specialize in doing a lot of custom vinyl graphics...

The next step that I am trying to investigate is equipment for medium-scale runs of sheets of full-color stickers. So if anybody has any advice on sticker and decal printing--and how to produce a professional retail sellable result, I would be very curious to hear.

Here are some of the things I would love to know more about.

1. Printing options, eco-sol vs. thermal. We are printing indoor/outdoor stickers/decals, not full signs. Small detail in the graphics is important, since most runs will be of 2-4" stickers, not 6' tall banners. What should we be looking at here?

2. Die-Cutting. Beyond contour cutting the stickers, which we currently do for our solid vinyl work, it would be ideal if we could die cut our backing so we have clean professional consistently sized stickers at the end of a run.

Those are the two big things I'm trying to research. I don't expect a magic bullet, but I would appreciate any information or advice from folks that know more about this than I do.

Thanks in advance!

modern

I think you want a slitter, not a die cutter, for cutting the backs of your decals. It's usually a specialized machine, and should be finely tunable for getting the correct depth of slit.

As for the actual printing, that's pretty debatable, but I believe you get a wider range of options from thermal printing (with foils and whatnot).

--
Collin Votrobeck
Creative Director

Last edited by a moderator:

johngate2100

As far as die cutting is concerned,i think people should focus the person who is using the machine rather than the machine.Because if someone is professional then he can get the best of any machine.

--
John Gate
Creative Director

Last edited by a moderator:

J Hill Designs

look for both contour cut and flex cut options (flex cut or perf cut cuts the backing so the stickers will be the same size)...then you can get a slitter to make them "crack and peel"

signage

This is a 2 year old post being brought back up and many things have changed! I would recommend starting a new thread!