• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Redundant Lines

functionpdx

I'm trying to make this file plot ready using the pathfinder in AI. I usually use "outline", then select and delete the lines that shouldn't be there, make it a paint group without a stroke and save. In this case the lightning bolt has about 4 paths on top of each other with broken segments in random spots, when intersected with the text it gets even weirder. Is there a way in AI to easily just delete all the redundant lines?

Attachments

• TCBfinal2.jpg
    TCBfinal2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 205

iSign

i just select stuff one at a time by clicking, & look to see if it is a segment in which case I delete it & click again. Eventually you will have the proper contour & then lock it. Once one copy of each contour you need has been locked, I marque select the rest & delete.

Your issue sounds like a glitch from importing files created in another program, so I don't think Adoba has simple tools for automating the correction of oddities that occur bringing in other file formats. At least their import filters are good enought to get the vectors in there at all... but the process of fixing those issues is a small price to pay.

functionpdx

So it is as tedious as I thought, at least I'm not the only doing this. It can be hard to remember what lines I've already deleted, having to undo, select, deselect on and on I guess that's the way it is. And you're right, this is a problem from importing from another program, and most likely probably another os.

beermonster

keep it simple - select the things you DO want - put on another layer, lock layer, delete layer containing the bits you do NOT want

illy needs the handy freehand function of being able to select "broken" lines and converting instantly to solid lines - needed that function for a while

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
This is a Javascript file for Adobe Illustrator which is used to remove invisible, duplicate file paths. These duplicate paths are unfilled and unstroked and are the result of certain Pathfinder operations in Illustrator. When sent to a vinyl cutting plotter, they usually result in duplicate cutting.

To install it, unzip and remove the file within the zip file and just drop it into the Scripts folder of Adobe Illustrator. It will show up under Files > Scripts > WR-removeDuplicates after a relaunch of Illustrator.

To use it, Select any or all paths suspected of having duplicate unfilled paths and run the script. On completion a report is shown which tells you if any were found and removed.

Attachments

• WR-removeDuplicates.zip
    2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited: