• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reflection Print

rjssigns

Reflection.png

Calling all digital print wizards,

I'm wondering if this type of print is possible, and will look good, if done on clear? White flood coat then print. The hard part would be getting the gradient in the reflection to look good.
Client really wants a reflection, and it's the only thing I can come up with. Print is going on a super dark blue(nearly black).

I also don't have a printer with white ink, so if it is possible I need a source that can print on cast clear or laminate, then laminate. It would need to be contour cut also.

Thanks,

RJ

Jburns

Depending on the size of graphic, that looks like small engine turn Silver vinyl. If the print has the blue outline - I would thermal print it, then contour cut.

rjssigns

Hi Bubba,

My thought was to mimic the look of a true shadow where the vehicle color is a component. Shadow would be a black to transparent gradient.

At bare minimum would need to print on the shadow clear to have a chance at making it look good.

rjssigns

Depending on the size of graphic, that looks like small engine turn Silver vinyl. If the print has the blue outline - I would thermal print it, then contour cut.

Thermal would be too small. Lettering without the shadow is 25" tall x 50" wide.(so far) I haven't gotten the final dimensions.

printhog

How I've done these - get clear low tack app tape..

1. design a small bleed into the top print/cut lettering (.005" or less) this is to accommodate any placement errors. gives you wiggle room.
  2. print and cut that piece. no laminate. weed and tape..
  3. print the entire design onto clear - both fade reflection and lettering.. no bleeds.
  4. on shop table apply the print/cut lettering over the printed clear using the design as registration. the .005" bleed gives wiggle room. peel off the app tape.
  5. If youre using engine turned vinyl for the center, cut it separately with a similar .005" bleed and using clear app tape, apply the engine turn in proper place. peel off the app tape.
  6. you should have a complete design now. just needs laminate.
  7. Laminate the whole thing with at least 60psi on your laminator roller. If using engine turned vinyl you may have small air gaps around letter edges - they disappear after a few sunny days..

i suggest you design your finish contour with about .125" outside the elements, this will be a sealing edge.

Dont rotate any of the art sections on your printer or when plotting, keep them all in the same plane. plotters and printers have minor errors in xy scale that will make registering hard at this level.

the speedpress kit makes this work easy.. SpeedPress

we do dozens of fuel trucks annually with inlayed 24xx gold leaf, reflective outlines, and a similar shadow. a little practice and its actually a fun job. The .0125" outside contour seals the edges up. looks good when done.

rjssigns

How I've done these - get clear low tack app tape..

1. design a small bleed into the top print/cut lettering (.005" or less) this is to accommodate any placement errors. gives you wiggle room.
  2. print and cut that piece. no laminate. weed and tape..
  3. print the entire design onto clear - both fade reflection and lettering.. no bleeds.
  4. on shop table apply the print/cut lettering over the printed clear using the design as registration. the .005" bleed gives wiggle room. peel off the app tape.
  5. If youre using engine turned vinyl for the center, cut it separately with a similar .005" bleed and using clear app tape, apply the engine turn in proper place. peel off the app tape.
  6. you should have a complete design now. just needs laminate.
  7. Laminate the whole thing with at least 60psi on your laminator roller. If using engine turned vinyl you may have small air gaps around letter edges - they disappear after a few sunny days..

i suggest you design your finish contour with about .125" outside the elements, this will be a sealing edge.

Dont rotate any of the art sections on your printer or when plotting, keep them all in the same plane. plotters and printers have minor errors in xy scale that will make registering hard at this level.

the speedpress kit makes this work easy.. SpeedPress

we do dozens of fuel trucks annually with inlayed 24xx gold leaf, reflective outlines, and a similar shadow. a little practice and its actually a fun job. The .0125" outside contour seals the edges up. looks good when done.

Spot on! Check your PM's