• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reflective Emergency Vehicle Graphics

toucan_graphics

I have an opportunity for ongoing work completing the graphics, lettering and striping on police, fire and emergency vehicles. I have some experience with reflective vinyl but nothing of this magnitude. I have two general questions:

1. What traps and pitfalls should I be aware of with both reflective vinyl in general and Police, Fire and Ambulances?

2. Do any of you have any tips or tricks for removing old reflective vinyl? In the past it has been a PITA for me.

Your advice and input is appreciated.

visual800

First off I would let http://www.police-graphics.com do all the decals. We use them for police graphics and other jobs printed on reflective. great Prices and quality stuff.

As far as getting old reflective off good Luck! It is the worst PITA Ive ever dealt with. We have always parked vehicle in sun and started peeling and any adhesive left is removed with Rapid removal available from any sign supply (usually). A razor blade and time is how we get them off but I usually price the removal high to steer them to a body shop.

rjssigns

What I know about reflective:
If possible when I back it up with 2-mil or wrap vinyl.(same with chrome) Removing reflective applied directly to a vehicle is a beast.

Maybe try steam?

If you are going to be printing and installing the reflective yourself, use the 3M 680CR if possible. Yes it's expensive, but it is a top of the line reflective and its great to work with. As far as removing the old stuff, I use my Red Tred eraser wheel. For the few times that it doesn't work, I use a heat gun and 3M specialty adhesive remover.

toucan_graphics

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing there isn't really any miracle tips for reflective removal.... just old fashioned elbow grease and patience. :smile:

I'll look into the source you recommended and see if they would be a good fit for me.

As this opportunity progresses, I'll have a better understanding of the profitability, but so far, sounds like it will be a mid-to-high volume of ongoing work. The opportunity is a strategic partnership with another company who retrofits and upgrades lighting, communication and electronic components in emergency vehicles from all over the region. When they approached me they offered me a permanent area in their facility to complete the installs on-site. It sounds promising thus far.