• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Relatively painless website design

grampa dan

I was dragged kicking and screaming into the computer age. I thought they were cool but the last thing I thought I needed was a computer. Bak in the early 90's I witnessed my kids working on computers often. And Janis did our books on our company computer too. The odd time I pecked out a letter, which Janis needed to edit of course as my typing wasn't the greatest to say the least. Why would I need a computer? There was no way to be creative on one.

Then they invented the digital drawing pad. This newfangled tool was pretty cool. It was, at first, a bit awkward to look at the screen and draw with my hand far away, but the pen did what I needed. It was 1998 and computers were finally up to my speed and had an interface that allowed me to interact. It was pretty brutal at first but I slugged through it with brute force of will. I've spent countless hours in front of them since then with some pretty amazing results. Computers revolutionized the way I did my drawing and presentations. It was still done by hand but the ink was virtual. Modifications and changes were suddenly easy without starting over. It was a marvelous thing!

Way back then I started designing our websites, although I then handed those designs to someone who could handle the necessary coding. It worked but changes were cumbersome, not instant, and costly. With coming ebooks, frequent workshops and constant new work, it's time to look at a new model. Like the digital pen of the last decade it is now possible to have someone as computer illiterate as me design and post a website. Simply amazing!

I've started in on the design of a new website which will become our .com space (we currently have our site posted as a .ca site. This will eventually become a pass through to the new site.

For now I'm sticking with a tweaked relatively stock template. All the pages look somewhat like a blog format right now and I'll tweak that over time... all possible in real time in this format.

You don't ned to buy any programs, don't have to learn any difficult coding. It's drag and drop with the changes appearing in real time on any platform or browser. And if I can do it I believe anybody can.

There is still a place for web designers for sure. But with the constant changes I want to make to our website on an ongoing basis this seems to work pretty well for me so far.

It's very affordable in my opinion and a great alternative to those who can't afford to have someone else do their site.

http://imaginationcorporation.squarespace.com

Their site is at www.squarespace.com

Right now I'm using their domain but I will (easily) customize it to ours soon. This transition makes their domain invisible even though the site continues to be hosted there.

Over the next weeks and months I'll be adding to and endlessly tweaking this website, trying my best to make it look like what I have in my head. It's going to be interesting I'm sure.

-grampa dan

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Absolutely love Phoebe's wings...looks like you're getting her imagination started out right...and early.

signswi

Squarespace is a nice service, you should use a real domain though not a squarespace subdomain. I prefer self-hosted wordpress but Squarespace is a great alternative and should hopefully help further clean up the web of so many terrible small business sites.

SqueeGee

I have a friend who's made some very cool pages with squarespace and I have played around with it some myself. Thanks for sharing!

GB2

Old Member
Does Wordpress serve the same function as Squarespace, are they two comparable services?

MikePro

always catch myself drooling when I see pictures of your work/shop, grandpa dan
+1 to a nice site!

signswi

Does Wordpress serve the same function as Squarespace, are they two comparable services?

Wordpress.com is a managed hosting blog platform, Wordpress.org is a self-hosted blog (and a great CMS) platform (open source). .COM is closer to Squarespace but more targeted towards small businesses/individuals that want to run a blog site (or site with a heavy blogging component) than want to run a standard "static" business site. Squarespace is a bit better for that, though it also supports blogging (just not as well).

I highly prefer Wordpress.org self-hosted (for blogs AND general sites, makes a great CMS once you learn it) but it's not a "WYSIWYG" solution.

TheSellOut

I have said many times how much of a fan I am of you, your work, and your outlook on life so please take no offense to what I say here but...I am not crazy about it. I know you have more tweaks to make but the way it is now, all basic and template looking...really almost downplays everything you are about. Take for example when you built your workshop, did you go out and buy a set of pre-made building plans? No, you threw out all standard building templates, started from scratch, and built one of the most creatively magnificent workshops any of us have ever seen! And that is what I would love to see you do with your website.