• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

remotely running and starting a business in a different state?

topshelf vinyl

Hi I haven't been on here long but ive had my vinyl company for a few years now and have been thinking of ways to expand , im currently getting a storage for my auto shop and will have to room for my printer and laminator once i figure out how and what kind i want ,

but i have been wanting to get others involved in my bushiness kind of like franchising , id have a contract put together for us , there would be a percentage agreement I would be able to either lease or just send the cutter , do remote training , and still keep a percentage of the profit they would make , I have the ability to add them to my invoicing and payment account, but because worried on how i would be able to manage that.

i could provide a remote solutions which i would be able to monitor them any time i remote in once they clock in to verify , and how could i manage cash deposits aside from just trust. i would have an invoice for every order cash or card and receipts but what if he decides not to put it in the books or alot of them .

personally in my head it sounds like it could work with the right person but then could also be horribly bad....

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
You're taking on a lot in my opinion. Attention to detail and professionalism is important in this, or any business. Start there.

Why would someone give you a percentage to have you watch over them? This is the question you have to answer first. All business relationships work on mutual benefits. At some point, you're "Franchisee" is going to ask that same question. "Why am I paying this guy 3 states away?"

It's going to take a system of detail and continuous improvement to continually convince your contractors in other states to stay on as part of your network, especially if they have risk involved in their own operation (i.e. Signed on a lease, make money based solely on commission, etc.)

Check out Proforma. They do something a bit like what you are talking about. Good luck.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hi I haven't been on here long but ive had my vinyl company for a few years now and have been thinking of ways to expand , im currently getting a storage for my auto shop and will have to room for my printer and laminator once i figure out how and what kind i want ,

but i have been wanting to get others involved in my bushiness kind of like franchising , id have a contract put together for us , there would be a percentage agreement I would be able to either lease or just send the cutter , do remote training , and still keep a percentage of the profit they would make , I have the ability to add them to my invoicing and payment account, but because worried on how i would be able to manage that.

i could provide a remote solutions which i would be able to monitor them any time i remote in once they clock in to verify , and how could i manage cash deposits aside from just trust. i would have an invoice for every order cash or card and receipts but what if he decides not to put it in the books or alot of them .

personally in my head it sounds like it could work with the right person but then could also be horribly bad....

This seems like your KEY concern.....

topshelf vinyl

Thanks , yea just been tossing a few ideas around on how to have another profit stream , yes there are many others but wanted to get opinions.

and that's the same things i thought about lol

thanks

You're taking on a lot in my opinion. Attention to detail and professionalism is important in this, or any business. Start there.

Why would someone give you a percentage to have you watch over them? This is the question you have to answer first. All business relationships work on mutual benefits. At some point, you're "Franchisee" is going to ask that same question. "Why am I paying this guy 3 states away?"

It's going to take a system of detail and continuous improvement to continually convince your contractors in other states to stay on as part of your network, especially if they have risk involved in their own operation (i.e. Signed on a lease, make money based solely on commission, etc.)

Check out Proforma. They do something a bit like what you are talking about. Good luck.

topshelf vinyl

Great advice.

Sorry to judge but based on how your original post is written.... you may want to reconsider that idea.

Also if you don't even own large format equipment how could you possibly open and manage a second location?

Don't mean to come across as a d*ck but this just sounds like a pipe dream.

NP , and i really wanted the opinions because i have no one else to toss ideas with ,

and i do not own large format which isnt a problem for me just something im thinking about getting into , ive had the business since 2009 , creating unique and diffrent pieces of RTA vinyl stickers , I run it from home part /full time , I have a day job so no need for more till im ready ,

and as far as business wise using plotters i would end up showing them how to cut rta vinyl and multi layer if they dont already but really just an idea that popped in my head because it wouldnt be hard to do but it would be hard to maintain.

and i like criticism , i have no one else to talk about business or vinyl so i take in what i can.

topshelf vinyl

This seems like your KEY concern.....

well yes and no , wrapping is not my main concern as i still haven't done it and haven't had a need to , what i would like to to is still continue making stickers but full color printed vinyl, and printing banners and photos on large canvases, the wrapping would be a plus as i would like to print large hood wraps and possibly full wraps in the future but I currently work alone and my wife helps when she can and already overwhelmed with work id have no times for wraps .

player

It is nice to see someone with ambition, however your energies would be best spent building your business up to a full sized commercial shop with 5-20 employees, top equipment and sales from $750,000-$5,000,000 before franchising. To franchise you need systems and procedures that are proven to make money and save time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
well yes and no , wrapping is not my main concern as i still haven't done it and haven't had a need to , what i would like to to is still continue making stickers but full color printed vinyl, and printing banners and photos on large canvases, the wrapping would be a plus as i would like to print large hood wraps and possibly full wraps in the future but I currently work alone and my wife helps when she can and already overwhelmed with work id have no times for wraps .

Not quite sure, how you come up with that conclusion from my post. However, now that you mention it.... I was under the impression, you were thinking of spreading out and trying to create satellite shops like your own, but now I realize..... you have nothing from which to start..... or give away. fresh has said it best..... you can't franchise what you don't have..... anyway, not legally.

So, how do you propose you can you set something up and get someone to invest when you'll prove beyond a doubt, you can't do it, yourself ?? No offense, while it looks good to you and sounds great, no logical thinking person would waste their time, let alone any funds to help you obtain your dream..... and it is a dream. This is called a 'Wish List' of your goals. You need to invest time, money, research, good times, bad times and be able to crack out an answer, BAM, just like that. You can't go to some forum and say, this guy is doing this and I need to know how to fix it without wasting anymore money. It has to be yours and only yours 100%. Try branching out your RTA projects and perhaps you'll get some interest there.

topshelf vinyl

HAHA opps well that was a reply for mosh , not sure how i tagged your post. and I never said i was franchising a printing company , I own plotters and only speaking of branching out with the RTA vinyl , why would i send others digital printers when i dont own one myself?

I also never said I needed a fix or solution or saying that what i had wasnt working not sure how that came about i only asked for others opinions on the matter. and i never said anything about money either , or others investing in me , just like the first post , sending a plotter to someone for RTA graphics , thats it .

Not quite sure, how you come up with that conclusion from my post. However, now that you mention it.... I was under the impression, you were thinking of spreading out and trying to create satellite shops like your own, but now I realize..... you have nothing from which to start..... or give away. fresh has said it best..... you can't franchise what you don't have..... anyway, not legally.

So, how do you propose you can you set something up and get someone to invest when you'll prove beyond a doubt, you can't do it, yourself ?? No offense, while it looks good to you and sounds great, no logical thinking person would waste their time, let alone any funds to help you obtain your dream..... and it is a dream. This is called a 'Wish List' of your goals. You need to invest time, money, research, good times, bad times and be able to crack out an answer, BAM, just like that. You can't go to some forum and say, this guy is doing this and I need to know how to fix it without wasting anymore money. It has to be yours and only yours 100%. Try branching out your RTA projects and perhaps you'll get some interest there.

topshelf vinyl

true , im currently working on some of that , thanks ,

It is nice to see someone with ambition, however your energies would be best spent building your business up to a full sized commercial shop with 5-20 employees, top equipment and sales from $750,000-$5,000,000 before franchising. To franchise you need systems and procedures that are proven to make money and save time.

TammieH

I may be wrong but it sounds like you are just trying to reinvent the franchise wheel. Something like a get rich faster scheme.

...but what do I know, I thought Ray Kroc was a crock! :ROFLMAO:

topshelf vinyl

I may be wrong but it sounds like you are just trying to reinvent the franchise wheel. Something like a get rich faster scheme.

...but what do I know, I thought Ray Kroc was a crock! :ROFLMAO:

lol haha I just could very well be doing that it my head , but there are to many cons for me to try it but glad to hear from others. thanks everyone