• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing High Performance Vinyl

jc1cell

I'm about to try using Crystal Teks Reflective Vinyl-Off on a simple removal, just to see how it works. If it works well I will try their regular vinyl-off product as well.

Haven't really tried a steam removal yet.

jc

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
do you have to use a pounce tool to make little holes so the steam get in there under the vinyl?

It works by softening both the vinyl and the adhesive ... not by getting under it. Once the vinyl is pulled away, the water coats it which is handy so it doesn't stick again.

jc1cell

It works by softening both the vinyl and the adhesive ... not by getting under it. Once the vinyl is pulled away, the water coats it which is handy so it doesn't stick again.

Have you tried it with cracked vinyl? You know, the one that's cracked on the vehicle and cracks in your hand while you try to peel it off.

How has it worked? If you have.

jc

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Have you tried it with cracked vinyl? You know, the one that's cracked on the vehicle and cracks in your hand while you try to peel it off.

How has it worked? If you have.

jc

I never have because I've always just quoted an hourly rate with an open ended time and no one has ever accepted that. While I imagine there would be some benefit, I doubt that softening a broken vinyl image would eliminate a major chunk of labor in a job such as you're describing. The best bet for that would be to hire a pressure washer who has a steam washing unit.

Rooster

If the vinyl's already cracked you can try and hit it with rapid remover. I've found it works great on baked on adhesives and the cracks should allow it to soften the adhesive somewhat.

If I have adhesive left behind after removal, a few quick squirts of the stuff and 5 minutes later I can just squeegee the adhesive off as a big goopy mess. With cracked vinyl you may find it all comes off together with a few applications.

jc1cell

I'm about to try using Crystal Teks Reflective Vinyl-Off on a simple removal, just to see how it works. If it works well I will try their regular vinyl-off product as well.

Haven't really tried a steam removal yet.

jc

So I tried it and found that it's fast working on glue. It most definitely has to stay away from plastics.

Another thing I noticed is that it can't stay on too long on the surface. Not sure if the problem I had was due to applied heat or duration of the fluid on the surface.

Couldn't try it as I wanted since I only needed to remove on line of copy rather than the entire application.

jc