• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replace damper 1638uh

brammekeuh

Hi guys,

Its time to replace the dampers again, i did it a year ago.

Now i have a question, about you guys doing it?

I discharge the ink and then i replace the dampers, and do a ink charge.

Is it possible to do replacement without discharge the ink?

Thanks for your advice.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Possible, yes, would I advise it NO. The ink and time is a lot cheaper than the print heads or main board if something goes wrong.

The 1638UH doesn't have sub tanks so all the ink will come flooding out at you as soon as you disconnect the ink line from the top of the damper. At best it makes a mess, at worse you can blow up print heads or the main board.

If you are going to do it you will need something to plug those ink lines into right away. As a servicing dealer we have run into the need to do this in the past. If we can't drain the printer for whatever reason we typically have an old print head loaded up with either new or old dampers that had the same ink type, we very quickly move the ink lines from the printer's print head to the old head. Once all the lines are moved over you can remove the damper hold down plate and replace the dampers, then repeat the process to move the lines back to the new heads.

brammekeuh

Thanks for the usefull info.

Is it a good a idea to install thuis clamps for the future replacement?

Or is it bad for the tubes?
0060447_universal-tube-clamp-25-pcs_550.jpeg

henryp

Use dummy cartridges if you have them, remove the ink cartridges then install the dummy cartridges to seal the needles and prevent ink flow

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I can change dampers without flushing the system with very minimal ink spillage but I've also done 1000's. On your machine with the dual channel dampers, a lot of the time you can just do one line at a time and ink won't come flying out. I also use a piece of soft tubing with a knot tied in it to cap off the tubes when the damper is disconnected on some models to prevent the spillage. But I agree with above, if it's not something you're super comfortable with, just flush the system and be safe. A few bucks in ink is better than a new main board or head.