• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Replaced leaking head. New one doesn't work

Rualsignmaker

*Edit* I plugged the ribbon cables into the head right but into the board reversed. Fuse is confirmed popped. How do we know if the head is bad now too? or just swap the fuse because that's its job anyways?

Followed the Roland manual on replacing a print head on my SP540. The old one had high kicks and damage to the head. Leaked magenta.

The replacement head doesn't work. I had a strong vacuum when I primed the new dampers. No leaks.

Checked the F3 fuse and it doesn't go near 0 on the meter. F2 is good. Is it a bad head or did I pop the fuse? or both?

Which route is the best to go? Replace the fuse and if it pops again then replace the new head?

Last edited:

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
Make sure the ribbon cable is installed properly and try changing the fuse. Have some extra fuses on hand because if something else is wrong it will pop again.
I ended u scrapping my Roland after a similar issue, replaced the head and everything seemed to work fine except it would not fire any ink. Went through replacing several parts, the fuses, all cables, head board, main board, servo board, thousands of dollars later I said enough is enough and sold it as a cut only machine.

I have a Mimaki UV now..

netsol

I am sure Kevin means well, but he makes it sound like the end of the world
Odds are, you will need to change the fuse, and, at worse, $25 worth of transistors.
BE SURE you have the correct value fuses. Don't just google "Roland head fuse" on ebay

I did that once in 2016 & discovered they sent methe wrong "pico" fuses (pico means too f***ing tiny to read the values on the fuse). I almost bought a new board for my Roland

If your board blows fuses, you can order the transistors on eBay & get a tv repair shop or someone with experience to change them for you.

Rualsignmaker

I am sure Kevin means well, but he makes it sound like the end of the world
Odds are, you will need to change the fuse, and, at worse, $25 worth of transistors.
BE SURE you have the correct value fuses. Don't just google "Roland head fuse" on ebay

I did that once in 2016 & discovered they sent methe wrong "pico" fuses (pico means too f***ing tiny to read the values on the fuse). I almost bought a new board for my Roland

If your board blows fuses, you can order the transistors on eBay & get a tv repair shop or someone with experience to change them for you.
I had a roland tech swap fuses. F3 was dead. I'll report back after I reinstall the board and fire up. Fingers crossed.

Rualsignmaker

Picked up the board from the Roland tech. He replaced the F3 fuse and we are back up and running. Finishing the alignments and everything seems to be okay.