• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

replacing head on SP300V

strypguy

Looks like my black/cyan head needs replacing.Ii have tried everything to remedy the problem but I still have deflection on my test print no matter what I do for cleanings. My black is printing with a fuzzy overspray. all other colors are printing ok.

Anyway, I was wondering how many of you roland owners have done your own head replacement and how did it go? Would you do it again?

My Roland service dept wants $1700 to come and replace one head. I think its a bit much but I don't want to get into something I wish I hadn't.

BTW, I'm very mechanical. I have done about everything else to this machine like replace captops, dampers, etc.

I also have a service manual. Looks like the alignment is the most stressful part of this job?

John

Last edited:

Robert M

Heads

John, if you do decide to change it I have them in Denver at $750.00. If you have done dampers and a cap top you are ready for the head replacement.
Robert
800-328-1306

strypguy

If you have done dampers and a cap top you are ready for the head replacement.

Yeah.. I just got those parts from you last week hoping it would fix the problem. Did a head soak today and it seemed to help but then I just did another test print and it's back.

Do you think I can handle the head replacement?

John

artbot

first take the head out. set in a small (very small) dish with just the printing platen submerged by about 1/16" of an inch. leave it here for a day or more. occasionally you can lightly place the head on a paper towel that has a medium sized spot of cleaning solution (acutally use MEK, because you are trying to really cut that ink). the solvent dispersing further outward in the paper towel will pull fluid directly from the head. also you set a pump tube onto the head adapter and lightly push solvent ink through the head. turn the head over slightly and observe the tiny dots appearing at the bottom of the head. are some not flowing? those are obstructed. if all are flowing easily, than you probably have a bent nozzle. also remember that these nozzles can be clogged with paper fibers, and dirt, etc. things that solvent doesn't cure. you might sink the bottom of in a ultrasonic cleaner for jewelery if all else fails. i haven't done this so i don't endorse it (yet). but flow helps.

as far as changing out the head yourself. it is waaaaay too easy to be paying and waiting for someone to come work on your girlfriend, i mean printer.

strypguy

as far as changing out the head yourself. it is waaaaay too easy to be paying and waiting for someone to come work on your girlfriend, i mean printer.

I hear ya. I've done everything to this damn printer but make sweet love to it...and replace the heads, lol.

John

Robert M

Heads

try the suggestions above, if they don't work and you get to the nothing else has worked stage try this. While gently pushing fluid through the head with a syringe, rub the bottom of the head with a foam swab. Sometime, not always you can free up the clogged nozzels. Do this as a last resort.

If it's bad ...its' BAD! Sheesh! Call your local Roland Tech and have a complete service including head replacement...and have it done right the first time.

artbot

i here and there buy "dead" heads from a service tech in the area for $100. so far 2 of the three have come clean. with some soaking.

TurtleCreek

Zen of Wide Format Repair

If it's bad ...its' BAD! Sheesh! Call your local Roland Tech and have a complete service including head replacement...and have it done right the first time.

Don't pay $1,700 for an hour of work! Take the Time, Pick up a Screw Driver, a 2.5 Ball Head Hex & Have a Go at it! Not that complicated. There will be a time when the technicians aren't available soon enough! U r probably a head soak away from saving $1,700!

I think we can help each other. I need a head alignment on my Roland SP-300, but do not have the Service Manual. Can u forward me the Service Manual for the SP-300. Send email to nick@eTurtleCreek.com

DRamm76

Don't pay $1,700 for an hour of work! Take the Time, Pick up a Screw Driver, a 2.5 Ball Head Hex & Have a Go at it! Not that complicated. There will be a time when the technicians aren't available soon enough! U r probably a head soak away from saving $1,700!

I think we can help each other. I need a head alignment on my Roland SP-300, but do not have the Service Manual. Can u forward me the Service Manual for the SP-300. Send email to nick@eTurtleCreek.com

I agree with Pacific Coast Sign. If you haven't done this type of work on your equipment before, why chance it. Saving yourself a $1000 now can mean spending $2000 later. Why take the chance?