• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RF-640 vs. TrueVIS VG 640

graphix45

Thinking of buying another printer and looking at the RF-640 or the True VIS 640. RF-640 looks identical to the VS-640 I have now just without the cut option. The VIS 640 prints & cut and is totally re-designed with new print heads & ink that come in 500ml bags. Anyone have one of these or have heard any pros/cons. I have seen a thread on here about the ink on the VIS not being as good as the EcoSol inks.

CL Visual

I can't speak for the Truevis but the RF has been a workhorse for us since we got it. Probably takes the same ink as what you have now also so no need to stock 2 different ink types. It's dual cmyk so if you need that additional color gamut, it doesn't ahve that.

jpescobar

I don't know if it will be available in US but the new VersaEXPRESS RF-640 8 Colour seems to deliver wider color gamut than the dual CMYK RF-640 model. It has 8 inks set (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Light Black, Red, Green, Orange) - ECO-SOL MAX 3 500ml cartridges.

You can combine it with a separate vinyl cutter like Summa or Graphtec which is more productive than buying a single print and cut device.
https://www.rolanddg.co.uk/products/printers/versaexpress-rf-640-8-colour-printer

productmobilebanner.jpg

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The VG series is a technological step backwards from the RF series. If you can get them for around the same price, the RF is the way to go for sure.

graphix45

I don't understand it being a step backwards. The RF-640 looks to be the same printer I've had now for 5 years...the VS-640. It looks to have to same chassis and build as well as the same print head, which I'm having trouble with now. The True VIS VG 540 has different print heads, (which may be an older style print head, not sure) and a new ink which comes in 500ml size for the same price as the 440ml I use now. I'm not sure if this ink is as good as the Eco-Sol Max I currently use or not. I'm wondering if I should just spend the $3,000 - $4,000 to get my VS-640 back to like new condition. I'm thinking of worst case ie. print head, dampers, encoder strip, cut strip & labor. Or, I buy something new and replace parts on the old one myself. If I get it working we could use it as a backup or for helping with productivity of the occasional high quantity job that comes in.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I don't understand it being a step backwards. The RF-640 looks to be the same printer I've had now for 5 years...the VS-640. It looks to have to same chassis and build as well as the same print head, which I'm having trouble with now. The True VIS VG 540 has different print heads, (which may be an older style print head, not sure) and a new ink which comes in 500ml size for the same price as the 440ml I use now. I'm not sure if this ink is as good as the Eco-Sol Max I currently use or not. I'm wondering if I should just spend the $3,000 - $4,000 to get my VS-640 back to like new condition. I'm thinking of worst case ie. print head, dampers, encoder strip, cut strip & labor. Or, I buy something new and replace parts on the old one myself. If I get it working we could use it as a backup or for helping with productivity of the occasional high quantity job that comes in.

The Vs and RS use the same heads and are good machines. The VG series, although it is a newer model, uses Ricoh heads that print slower and lower resolution than the Vs and RF series. That's why I said it's a step back. It's a newer model but uses cheaper technology.

SE SignSupply

The Vs and RS use the same heads and are good machines. The VG series, although it is a newer model, uses Ricoh heads that print slower and lower resolution than the Vs and RF series. That's why I said it's a step back. It's a newer model but uses cheaper technology.

A VG is actually about 20% faster than the RF when inked in the same configuration (CMYKx2). It also has a few more nice features like auto switching between ink bags as well as a cheaper cost/sqft.

The native resolution of the printhead on the new FlexFire heads is a bit misleading. It does have a lower max resolution (1440 DPI on the RF vs 900DPI on the VG) but the drop sizes and dot pinning on the new TruVis ink more than make-up for the resolution differences. The FlexFire head is very well suited to sign and graphics applications, Epson heads belong in fine art printers. When comparing printhead prices (not a good comparison) keep in-mind the RF has a single printhead that holds all colors, the VG has 4 heads with one color per head.

If you haven't seen a VG in person these differences are hard to gather from a simple cut sheet on the printers. The VG is certainly a technological step above the RF and VS platforms. There is not right answer here, just personal preference between a new platform or a proven performer. We have a VG in the field that just hit 3 years old, the RF has been around for ~5 years.

Last edited:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
A VG is actually about 20% faster than the RF when inked in the same configuration (CMYKx2). It also has a few more nice features like auto switching between ink bags as well as a cheaper cost/sqft.

I don't doubt you have had a good experience with the machine but the VG series has a max speed of 375sqft/hr and the RF has 521. The objective fact is that the speed and resolution specs are significantly lower which is why in my opinion it is a step backwards especially since they are selling it for the same price as faster high quality machines. A Mimaki CJV150 outperforms this machine by miles and they sell for the same price.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
I don't doubt you have had a good experience with the machine but the VG series has a max speed of 375sqft/hr and the RF has 521. The objective fact is that the speed and resolution specs are significantly lower which is why in my opinion it is a step backwards especially since they are selling it for the same price as faster high quality machines. A Mimaki CJV150 outperforms this machine by miles and they sell for the same price.

RF640 + 1

Gene@mpls

RF640 +2... we just ordered another one [1st is 4 yrs old]. I clean once a month whether it needs it or not, and we go thru a lot of vinyl. Bulk ink and the biggest money maker I have ever seen. You can buy one and a GR640 for about 20k, and sell the 4 year old machines for about half that.