• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question ridge in middle of vinyl

netsol

when we switch to general formulations 201OAP-54 after printing a few feet,, i develop a ridge (the material lifts in the center)
not much most of the time but once in a while i don't watch and flatten it out between prints and get something like this
(carriage striking the vinyl, or scraping more precisely ) printing on my roland sc545-ex
this never happens with my avery vinyl

i don't think it is a pinch roller issue,
1642349099172.jpeg

victor bogdanov

I sometimes get stuff like this if temperature and humidity changes for example cold during the night and then warming up during the day or the other way around. Also using GF vinyl but Orafol seems to be more susceptible to this for me.

To fix I unwind a few feet of the vinyl before printing and advance medial a few feet if it sits loaded for more than a few minutes before printing.

netsol

thanks, victor

we normally use the cheap avery vinyl and do not normally see any of this, although i often release the pinch rollers, "flatten out"and setup again , just to be thorough

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
3M IJ35 used to get like this. Cheap cr*p from China. I'd have to unwind it and could print on it without heat and have fans attempting to dry it. Was an attempt, at the time, to take business from Oracal for their 3651.

netsol

This is my backup, cheap vinyl when harbor sales back orders the cheap avery stuff.
It's only redeeming value is that the adhesive is a little stickier than the avery product & works
Fairly well if we are mounting on sintra

netsol

to my thinking, it is tGF vinyls are worse than the others.

normally Higher price = Better product (or so we would like to think

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
If I have that problem on my Roland, before printing I set press basepoint and advance 2 to 3 feet of vinyl out the front of the printer and print. The weight of the vinyl on the front end keeps the vinyl tight.
If it still happens I advance a few feet out of the back of the printer too and that usually fixes the "Waves" while printing....