• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Road to Dummy Terminals Marches On (Among Other Roads)

WildWestDesigns

I really did miss on the infrastructure. Here we did get fiber to home/business (within the last 2 yrs, although promised far longer), I have it here on the farm and we are about a mile from the road, 3 miles from the nearest station. I got to thinking about it more, the inlaws don't have good internet and they have a bunch of these JoeBob type of IPs that are spotty at best.

bteifeld:
1. This also brings about little to no motivation for protection of users data. How many get taken for ransomware type of attacks, don't tell anyone if they can avoid it and just pay it and go on about their business? Since it's our data, we have the most incentive to be motivated for protection, now some don't care and that's on them. But a 3rd party isn't going to be motivated like we are going to be on the security and stability of our own data. Ironically, this happens quite a bit at the city/state level (which makes me think of a scary and yet funny story, but I digress) as well.

2/3. There are some, but certainly not that many. Typically though, if they allow for #3, they also allow for #2, at least the ones that I have seen and looked for.

4/5. Because people don't look at the agreements, even ones that are 2-4 pages long, heaven forbid if they are 20 pages and then enough of them don't go, "I don't think so about this", agreements are always going to be more one sided then not. I mean come on, how many people look at the changes in their ToS of what they do use when those emails come out? Not many. That type of mentality has to change.

6. Don't forget security as well as reliability. Now granted, the effort has to be put forward to make sure they the research is done, but like #1, we are the ones that are the most motivated about our own data (and that's really what this is for, our data) and it's security/reliability. Want to pass that on to someone else, that's your call. This is why (among others) I don't like the thought of Win 11 making the host file locked. Depending on the LAN setup, there are legitimate reasons for security to need Windows to respect the hosts file and from what I have been reading, it is going to be locked in Win 11 (Win 10 ignored it for their own updates as well, they used to be the early workaround for not getting the forced updates).

bteifeld

Substratia Consulting,Printing,Ergosoft Reseller
Thank you- I should have mentioned security, but that would begin a long discussion wondering
why people have ignored capability-based security in operating systems that existed forty years ago, with
better confinement/isolation than people seem to dream about today.

WildWestDesigns

Thank you- I should have mentioned security, but that would begin a long discussion wondering
why people have ignored capability-based security in operating systems that existed forty years ago, with
better confinement/isolation than people seem to dream about today.

I don't think people (those that are in control of things) want hardened security. Have to remember, there are moves for mandated backdoors in OSs from various governments. Easier to do in the closed source OSs, which also tend to be the most widely used as well.

The others that should care about security, "us" users, trade in ease of use instead of security.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Why the rolling eyes and sleeping emojis? What is the point of that? From this particular user, I have consistently gotten the sleeping emoji, that doesn't not bring about that the person has any "interest" in what I say what so ever (this isn't just this thread, this is a history of other threads), even when it was a response when they previous wanted it. Why waste my time in responding further to the same person, when they start off the same way and have a history of continue in the same pattern? You know what they say about insanity right? Doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

You'll notice that I have responded to others. I think I have a pretty good history of responded when asked, in fact, I try to be as detailed as I can be when I do respond, hence the typical omnibus responses.
Probably because the bug-eyed "er what" emoji is gone now. The rolling eyes "looks" like the closest thing. And the snooze -because you write too many paragraphs for a forum man. You would get more readers/interest/respect if you kept your point shorter instead of rambling on like you're writing in your journal.

WildWestDesigns

Probably because the bug-eyed "er what" emoji is gone now. The rolling eyes "looks" like the closest thing. And the snooze -because you write too many paragraphs for a forum man. You would get more readers/interest/respect if you kept your point shorter instead of rambling on like you're writing in your journal.
There is the OMG emoji, Gaco used in that in that same post. I think that would be closer to the bug eyed one as far as meaning goes, not going by looks.

If six sentences causes one to go to sleep (at least as far as the OP goes), I don't think it's going to get much better then that.

I do error on the side of caution with longer posts, because I try to get around, if possible, the pitfalls of just communicating in a medium such as this as inflection etc is sometimes lost. Thus longer posts to make sure that I try my best to get what I want across(short and sweet doesn't always work in that regard).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
C'mon wildwest, it's only a sign forum. Anyone can do what they want here. Sure, there are certain policies or rules not to go beyond, but to have verbal rules now on how to use these silly pictures is just plain dumb. You come off looking very petty. Let' all just get along, until something really goes awry. :popcorn:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Just out of curiosity, are you on any tech forums Wild West? I'm on Neowin sometimes, wondering what your fav tech sites are?