• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland 545EX downgrade firmware to SC540

GriffBotosani

Hello to all. We have an Roland SC540 SoljetPro printer with SC545EX firmware. I need to downgrade firmware to SC540 and i dont know how to do it. Maybe someone can explain what can i do.
I want to use the printer with Colorip software. With SC545 EX firmware i have errors when i send to print "Data error" and the SC545EX printer is not seen in print setup to select it.

FrankW

The difference between SC545EX and SC540 is not only the firmware, there are hardware differences too. Shure you really have a SC540 with a SC545 Firmware?

GriffBotosani

The difference between SC545EX and SC540 is not only the firmware, there are hardware differences too. Shure you really have a SC540 with a SC545 Firmware?
Pretty sure about it. because on the case and serial number is written Roland SoljetPro II SC 540

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Sounds like a setup issue. When selecting the printer in color rip, select what the actual model is. If the serial number is for an SC540, then try that. There were several different 540's too, had an SC540EX Pro-II years ago, thee had the base SC540/ an SC540EX/ the EX Pro-II/ a 540EXW... Also make sure you have correct printer drivers installed. If you select the wrong printer, have the connection configured wrong, have the wrong port specified, or don't have the driver installed, it won't recognize it, or error out. Firmware is specific to the printer, if you put the wrong firmware on a printer, you'll probably just brick it. Start from scratch with your setop, make sure ports are configured, make sure you have the correct drivers, those old machines aren't plug-n-play. Do it all based on what the machine actually is.

StephenOrange

Eater of cake. Maker of .
I suspect this might not be possible at end-user level. While the main boards look identical, there are dip-switches on the it that need to be set to the SC-540 profile (easy enough), but I think the firmware loaded on the board only accommodates for a few models, depending on the firmware. So on your machine you can only switch between your model and the SJ-645/745EX machines. See attached pic. Change at your own risk ...
Screenshot 2022-09-04 at 20.48.48.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-04 at 21.03.58.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-04 at 21.03.58.png
    140.6 KB · Views: 89
Sounds like a setup issue. When selecting the printer in color rip, select what the actual model is. If the serial number is for an SC540, then try that. There were several different 540's too, had an SC540EX Pro-II years ago, thee had the base SC540/ an SC540EX/ the EX Pro-II/ a 540EXW... Also make sure you have correct printer drivers installed. If you select the wrong printer, have the connection configured wrong, have the wrong port specified, or don't have the driver installed, it won't recognize it, or error out. Firmware is specific to the printer, if you put the wrong firmware on a printer, you'll probably just brick it. Start from scratch with your setop, make sure ports are configured, make sure you have the correct drivers, those old machines aren't plug-n-play. Do it all based on what the machine actually is.
Hey sorry to bother you but I’m new here and don’t know how to really go about asking you and you seem pretty smart about these printer I have a sc545ex and I put a bulk system on it and when I power on from back it just turns on and say to pick my ink which I do then it does like a cleaning and does it all over again there no time to go into service mode so do I have to get chips for the ink cartridge? And what is this hole post about with the difference in the sc540 and the 545 I have both of them I got not working and clean the heads and unclog ink line on both but honestly don’t know difference they look the same are for part but the Roland heater box are Mounted different area “software they use have no idea about” I just learn how to on these thing on and still learning how to print

netsol

Premium Subscriber
IF it is possible, the way to do it would be to replace the IC chip that "holds" the firmware

i didn't pull out the manuals because it seems like the long way around, possibly without a happy ending
would it not make more sense to simply find & EDIT the .ini file (32 bit software) or whatever holds the list of acceptable models to talk to and print?

we have done this for years with various software and devices (not just for the sign industry but for many others)

start out with a grep and search for text containing <the model of printer that works> and locate the "acceptable hardware" file {probably an .ini) MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR FILE BEFORE YOU EDIT IT [in case your text editor f**ks it all up]

we have done this with printer drivers, scanner drivers, all manner of hardware since the late 1980's
keep in mind there also may be a file that shows the range of mac addresses that work (this is how your software finds your printer, among all the devices on your network0, so there may be more than one place that needs editing

this all assumes there is not some glaring difference in hardware between the 2 machines that makes it impossible to print, although roland doesn't know that many tricks and they use them again and again. the above method had worked for me with our roland egx's, mdx's and modella's

IF it is possible, the way to do it would be to replace the IC chip that "holds" the firmware

i didn't pull out the manuals because it seems like the long way around, possibly without a happy ending
would it not make more sense to simply find & EDIT the .ini file (32 bit software) or whatever holds the list of acceptable models to talk to and print?

we have done this for years with various software and devices (not just for the sign industry but for many others)

start out with a grep and search for text containing <the model of printer that works> and locate the "acceptable hardware" file {probably an .ini) MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR FILE BEFORE YOU EDIT IT [in case your text editor f**ks it all up]

we have done this with printer drivers, scanner drivers, all manner of hardware since the late 1980's
keep in mind there also may be a file that shows the range of mac addresses that work (this is how your software finds your printer, among all the devices on your network0, so there may be more than one place that needs editing

this all assumes there is not some glaring difference in hardware between the 2 machines that makes it impossible to print, although roland doesn't know that many tricks and they use them again and again. the above method had worked for me with our roland egx's, mdx's and modella's
I have the versawork cd for that machine haven’t got a chance to down load or use this the software a pain in butt to use or get ?