• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland Camm-1 PNC 1000A Cutting slooow

Werner

Hi all, new to this forum so I hope I've posted correctly. I have an old Camm-1 Roland PNC 1000A. I've had this machine since new, and decided to resurrect it. The problem I'm having is that I send it to cut, but cuts really slow..like ridiculously slow. In setup I've changed rotation to 90 degrees, but when plotter checks width of vinyl is states 1900mm. This is even when I've changed it to the correct cutting area of 1600mmL x 480mmH in plotter setup in Signlab. Any ideas anyone?....I'd appreciate it.

Bert Wondervan

Hi all, new to this forum so I hope I've posted correctly. I have an old Camm-1 Roland PNC 1000A. I've had this machine since new, and decided to resurrect it. The problem I'm having is that I send it to cut, but cuts really slow..like ridiculously slow. In setup I've changed rotation to 90 degrees, but when plotter checks width of vinyl is states 1900mm. This is even when I've changed it to the correct cutting area of 1600mmL x 480mmH in plotter setup in Signlab. Any ideas anyone?....I'd appreciate it.

Reinstall the driver or your cutter from Signlab. That helps this problem in most cases.

Just put it in the recycle bin and buy a $300 chinese cutter. 1000 in the name probably shows the age of the device, if you want to mess around with it (for whatever reason that's beyond me) you should start by changing all the capacitors on the electric board.

Werner

Just put it in the recycle bin and buy a $300 chinese cutter. 1000 in the name probably shows the age of the device, if you want to mess around with it (for whatever reason that's beyond me) you should start by changing all the capacitors on the electric board.
Thanks for your reply. I've checked, no bulging capacitors. Actually I was looking on ebay regarding a new plotter. So surprised how cheap these are. They're all made in China but I gather not of the quality of Roland. The brand I was looking at was Redsail. Any opinion?

Thanks for your reply. I've checked, no bulging capacitors. Actually I was looking on ebay regarding a new plotter. So surprised how cheap these are. They're all made in China but I gather not of the quality of Roland. The brand I was looking at was Redsail. Any opinion?

I'd try to find a used CX-24, they are old enough to be cheap (needs LPT port on your PC), speed is slow-ish but quality is just as good as the newest models.

They go up to 40 cm/sec, so 30 will give good result (for a comparison mimaki printers with onboard cutter cuts at 30 and as far as I can remember truevis has the same speed)

Werner

They had a max speed of 15 cm/sec on straights anyway - how slow are you talking about?
HI Ian, thanks for your reply. How slow?...well it took about 30min to cut a 300mm circle. Anyway got fed up with it and bought a cheap Chinese cutter on Ebay. I used it twice and decided I wanted a refund!...just junk. Anyway I took the PNC1000A to a guy that use to service a lot of Roland plotters back in the day, and it has him stumped also. He has parts so hopefully he can get it happening. Actually that reminds me I need to phone him, as he's had it for 3 weeks and haven't heard a thing. I'm retired now but thought I would resurrect it as I wanted to make an illuminated Harley Davidson sign for my man cave......but all it's given me is grief....you get that!

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Wow, sounds like it has Roland Dementia or Altzheimers...
I've never heard of that problem like that - but it also sounds like perhaps a lack of voltage reaching the steppers- if the circle itself is accurate. Fixing it would be a challenge - not impossible. I think I sent you the curcuit diagrams also - but you'd need a local electronics hobbyist to help you - and remember this machine was built back in the days of Windows 3.0 and DOS , but built to last! Our two are still going fine, believe it or not.

Bergalhu

Wow, sounds like it has Roland Dementia or Altzheimers...
I've never heard of that problem like that - but it also sounds like perhaps a lack of voltage reaching the steppers- if the circle itself is accurate. Fixing it would be a challenge - not impossible. I think I sent you the curcuit diagrams also - but you'd need a local electronics hobbyist to help you - and remember this machine was built back in the days of Windows 3.0 and DOS , but built to last! Our two are still going fine, believe it or not.
Hi Ian, do you still have the user and service manuals from those PNC 1000A and/or PNC 1100 that you would be kind to send me @ vitor.maio@hotmail.com to see if I can solve some troubles on my own old vinyl cutters?
Thank you
Bergalhu