• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Colorip

Rob.Brindley

Hi folks,

Thanks for accepting me here - I've been a long time lurker and this site has given me many valuable tips on my journey into sign making.

Now, the reason for my post... We have a Roland SP-300 that requires Colorip to work. Up until recently, I've had Colorip and the SP-300 working perfectly on a Windows 10 PC. Unfortunately, that PC has now failed catastrophically and we've lost everything on it (it has been running pretty much 24/7 for the last 8 years so we can't complain too much). We've replaced the PC with a new machine but I'm unable to find Colorip anywhere! Can anybody point me in the right direction? I'm aware that there is a modification that can be done to convert an SP-300 to an SP-300V to allow it to work with Versaworks, but we're still paying the service contract on the SP-300 and I don't think Roland will take too kindly to me modifying the printer. We only use the printer for small in-house jobs so it's really not worth us upgrading the vinyl printer itself, unfortunately.

Kind regards,

Rob.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I did a quick Google search and the ColorRip software seems to have been phased out around the time Windows 8 came out. But if you're still paying for a service contract with Roland, will they not write a driver for VersaWorks to use the printer and maybe give you that (or sell it to you at a discount)?

Rob.Brindley

I did a quick Google search and the ColorRip software seems to have been phased out around the time Windows 8 came out. But if you're still paying for a service contract with Roland, will they not write a driver for VersaWorks to use the printer and maybe give you that (or sell it to you at a discount)?
I have emailed Roland Tech Support to ask if they can do anything but, so far, I haven't received a reply. Worst case, I'll try calling them again. For the previous machine running Windows 10, I did manage to find the Colorip software on the net - I was certain I'd saved the downloaded files somewhere but apparently not. There was still links for Colorip being available on Roland's site up until 2021 but it looks like they've completely removed it now - Annoyingly, all of the manuals are still available on Roland's site, but not the software itself...

FrankW

No doubts, you can easily run your SP-300 with Versaworks 5.x
You need to modify system settings and a dip switch at the mainboard on a SP300 to convert it to a SP300V. Only a SP300V will work with Versaworks 5. It is possible, but illegal for copyright reasons: with a SP300, you dont have officially a Versaworks licence.

There was still links for Colorip being available on Roland's site up until 2021 but it looks like they've completely removed it now - Annoyingly
Roland have stopped selling SP300 bundled with Colorip in early 2005. What means, if there are really download links available until 2021, they offer a 15 year support. Not so bad …

One reason that they stop offering downloads could be because of licensing issues: Colorip wasn‘t made by Roland, Colorip was an OEM Wasatch Softrip. Even lots of components of RIP-Software is licenced too, for example the RIP Engines.

But there are a lot of commercially available software which still supports SP300. A problem could be the USB system driver, they discontinued that piece of software too.

Rob.Brindley

Thanks for your help folks - I managed to get the hdd out of the old PC and copy the software on the the new machine. After a few tests, it appears to work ok so I'm out of the woods for now. I might see if Roland will do the update to an SP-300V and use Versaworks if possible. It's got to be worth asking the question.

Thanks again for your help.

Rob

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Who cares?!? Hahaha
Do you really expect any possible legal issues here? (just for fun)
no, but it explains WHY they did what they did
they only have the right to distribute the software in compliance with the agreement

V. V.

Inkjet printing guru
no, but it explains WHY they did what they did
they only have the right to distribute the software in compliance with the agreement
I mean I don't really see any "legal" or whatsoever problem to convert sp300 to 300v and swith to VW.

d fleming

Looks like you got around it. Was going to suggest plugging the old drive into the optical drive cable if you had one on the pc. Then sometimes you can download from it . That helped me once when a drive was doing it's best to roast. Got lucky.

mendozad73

Thanks for your help folks - I managed to get the hdd out of the old PC and copy the software on the the new machine. After a few tests, it appears to work ok so I'm out of the woods for now. I might see if Roland will do the update to an SP-300V and use Versaworks if possible. It's got to be worth asking the question.

Thanks again for your help.

Rob
Hi I'm new to this but if you don't mind me asking what softwear do you use?

netsol

Premium Subscriber
since you have the software, burn yourself a copy on a writable dvd
this way you have it forever, no surprises from hard drive failures, etc
any time i don't copy to dvd, i wish i did