• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help ROLAND GR-640 -Won't move past 3rd crop mark

Keyes

Designer/Sign Technician
I've got a large project (I fear the problem is that it's just too long...) at over 10 feet. We've previously used this plotter to cut jobs close to this size (admittedly with some difficulty). The plotter will read the first two crop marks, go all the way to the bottom and it WILL read the 3rd crop mark, but then says Length NG. I've re-rolled this project over a dozen times now trying to make it straighter, and my arms are tired. Are there any tips or tricks that I'm missing to ensure the print moves through the machine straight that I'm missing? I've got it edged properly, between the rollers (I've tried both wide-space and small-space between the rollers) with the ring pinches set on each side....

I know this is a long shot, but this job is due very soon and I'm at a loss! If you've got a tip, I'd love to hear it.

Action Mary

When this happened to me, I added extra media to the bottom. lined up the two pieces and just taped them together - tape the entire length on both sided, Now I always add an extra 3inches before I sheet cut. Fingers are crossed this helps you.

Jsanders1714

I usually feed my media forward before I sheet cut. It’s just odd that it works just fine on a sheet that is around 60-80 inches but anything over 10 feet I’ve been having a problem with. So basically all you did was add extra media to the back of the print and it fixed it? Did your prints also have trouble cutting the 3rd crop mark and throw up the Length NG code?

Action Mary

I usually feed my media forward before I sheet cut. It’s just odd that it works just fine on a sheet that is around 60-80 inches but anything over 10 feet I’ve been having a problem with. So basically all you did was add extra media to the back of the print and it fixed it? Did your prints also have trouble cutting the 3rd crop mark and throw up the Length NG code?

Action Mary

If you moved it forward already, then I don't know. All I did was add about 6" at the time to make sure there was lots. Then it worked. After trial and error, I now add 3", I found that to be enough. This was on a VP-540.

mobileartdept

MobileArtDept.com Your Image Our Priority!
Also not sure if it was mentioned, but we found that cleaning the LED sensors, both the sending and reading little lights UNDER the cutter module solved our delima of both finding the 4th mark and getting our registration spot on again... it was off in the Y axis and we were almost going to adjust it manually (according to the manual) but evidentally it was a dirty sensor causing a slight miss reading - so a little hot water and a damp cleaner swab did the trick! I have photos of the bottom - BUT DO NOT DO THIS!! DO NOT TAKE YOUR CUTTER MODULE OFF -- IT COULD VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND IS A PAIN TO GET BACK ON PERFECTLY AND ACCURATELY ... just sayin, wish I had checked here first, as I didnt know exaclty where the LED sensor was till I did this - hope this helps someone -- #alwayslearning #workhardplayhard

Attachments

• Roland GR-640 LED sensor cleaning.jpg
    Roland GR-640 LED sensor cleaning.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 103

Jsanders1714

Did it fix your issue on large prints? I’m only having the issues on prints longer than 9-10ft other than that it’s pretty good