• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland LEJ-640 vs. Mutoh ValueJET 64" UV hybrid printers

Brazen

Finally decided it was time to get an in-house machine, the Roland LEJ Hybrid UV looks like a good fit. We have limited space and want to work with both roll and rigid media. The Mutoh ValueJET 64" is in the same market space and similar specifications. Roland is a bit pricier, but I'm happy to pay if there is added value. Does anyone have experience with both Roland and Mutoh UV hybrid printers? Is one more solid than the other, or should we be looking elsewhere?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Finally decided it was time to get an in-house machine, the Roland LEJ Hybrid UV looks like a good fit. We have limited space and want to work with both roll and rigid media. The Mutoh ValueJET 64" is in the same market space and similar specifications. Roland is a bit pricier, but I'm happy to pay if there is added value. Does anyone have experience with both Roland and Mutoh UV hybrid printers? Is one more solid than the other, or should we be looking elsewhere?
I just recommend looking at service... Mutoh is notorious for not having any.

mkmie

Lost Soul
I agree with Brazen. What service is available in your area in a reasonable amount of time. We had to choose between HP and Roland. We went with the Roland because there service is great and HP s**ks.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Just have to defend Mutoh to round out the discussion. Keep in mind that your local dealer tech does not equal Mutoh support. If you have a bad experience with a service call that is all on the dealer. The official statistic is Mutoh printers average about 0.5 service calls in the first 2 years, which in my experience as a Mutoh certified tech, is absolutely true. I have been working with, not for, Mutoh tech support for 10 years and they rock. I am certified in many brands of machines and Mutoh is the only manufacturer I call and they actually pick up the phone 99% of the time.

Sindex Printing

I have the Mutoh 1638uh. 5 service calls (3 different mutoh techs 2 from Axiom) later and the same issues from the first week. 3 print head have been replaced, wiper assembly, 2 maintenance stations have all been replaced, the RIP software has been reloaded twice, and new profiles have been used, all this from the end of August. I'm sure I got the one odd machine that is unfixable. I will say the John with Mutoh and Austin with Axiom have been amazing with response time and great to deal with trying to get the issues resolved but it is not a quick process if you have issues.

The problem that we are having is color consistency through out the print. We it works like it should the results are amazing but when it's not working it is unsellable.

I would definitely say find the best service for your area.

FrankW

All of the mentioned printers are very limited in the use of rigid media (weight, thickness, no borderless printing and so on). The Roland is based on a Soljet-Printer introduced to the market more than 10 years ago, as far as I know it still uses DX4-heads.

I would think over carefully if that machines match my needs in rigid printing, and maybe would prefer a roll-only machine.

HubcityNek

Nekayli
No experience in the other printer, but I would recommend getting a Roland as we have an XR 640 which is 5 years old now and only ever had one fluke issue. Also, at the SGIA this year I was able to view many different printers and we even considered buying another printer but in latex ink instead. We ended up not and instead got a plotter, but Latex ink has certain applications it works better on than others as does the normal ink. So think about what kinds of applications you do the most and consider stepping back and having a regular printer first, then latex down the road for more specialty stuff. The colors you can reach on certain media with latex vs normal - just isn't the same between the two.